Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings From The Motor City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings From The Motor City

After years of coming to Amazingribs.com for product reviews, recipes and advice, I finally joined the pitmaster club.

I'm a backyard cook that has learned throgj self teaching, learning the science and techniques through Amazingribs.com and a whole lot of trial and error.

I started knowing absolutely nothing about BBQ other then my time in the service where I frequently ate it while down south. After one bite I was hooked and I had to learn how to make great BBQ.

Fast forward 25 years to today and I now make my own spice rubs and make several homemade BBQ sauce flavors. All in all, I feel like I make pretty good BBQ... For a Yankee lol.

My biggest flaw is I do not own a high-end cooker so I have a heck of a time with fire managment and I go through a lot more wood than most. I have my eye on 24x48 Lone Star Grill and plan on adding some bells and whistles but it is a pretty big expense but I've been saving up. I was close to getting it but my wife got sick and a year of cancer treatment and a major surgery racked up a hefty set of medical bills...not to mention the fear of losing the love of my life. I'm happy to report she has made a full recovery and all is well. I'll gladly keep cooking for her on my cheap offset haha. I love good BBQ but there's no point if you can't share it with the one you love, right?

Things are much better now and I started the fund saving for my dream pit once again. I look forward to getting to know you guys and learning and sharing our success... And even our BBQ failures.

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Keep an eye out on craig's list or the local facebook for sale page. Something good occasionally pops up.

Comment

Welcome from south Texas! Thank you for your great intro story!

Comment

I'm saving up for a LSG offset. From what I can tell they are really well built and last forever. Well, it will last longer than me anyway lol. I look at it as a big one time purchase but it's a pit that can do everything I need it too and I won't have to buy another pit.

It's tough up here in Michigan as far as buying pits. We don't have many manufacturers and most pits are cheap ones sold by big box stores. Heck, it's hard to find cooking wood splits here. I love hickory but it's not easy to get here, same with pecan. But I can get cherry and apple so it's not all bad I guess.

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Just use oak and call it good. I don't bother too much with different woods. Most can't tell a difference.

Welcome from north Texas. Good luck with buying a new smoker. I think there are many success stories of good barbecue here without a "high-end" smoker. Enjoy your time here.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
              Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

What kinda offset are ya currently rollin?
              Mebbe we can share some tips an experience that'll help ya endure, while ya wait fer an LSG...

Congrats on yalls successful recovery from th cancer, an Many Thanks fer yer Service, Brother!
              Ooorrraaahhh!!!

Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 8, 2020, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                Yo need to get into leasing some of your 50 smokers. I know you ain't going to sell em.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Ahumadora, ya done seen my collection, some, an I done seened yer products...

Work me out a trade deal, an I'll un-arse some cookers, Brother, lol!

Don't ya likely need a Norteamericano Test Pilot?
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 8, 2020, 05:37 PM.

Welcome to the Pit from the California Delta.

Comment

Welcome from South Carolina

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from Minnesota! All the best to your Wife and You.

Comment

Understand the spousal situation, I live with it daily. Good to see things are lookin up. I know you’ve got yer heart set on a really good stick burner, but have you considered going charcoal with a kettle. They’re cheap & ya can get by makin some pretty good Q whilst yer Savin fer the LSG. Welcome, eat good & have fun!
                    BTW, where in Motown?

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!
                      Cheers from Norway 🇳🇴

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here