Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey y'all! Greetings from NW Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey y'all! Greetings from NW Ohio

Hi folks,

I’ve been lurking around here for a few weeks now and I’ve enjoyed it so far. I thought it was time for me to pay up!

I’ve been at the barbecue for about 30 years now and it’s a passion of mine. I love just about anything that involves cooking but, outdoor cooking is certainly my favorite. It started when I was 13 years old in front of a makeshift smoker that my dad had made out of scrap metal. It was this gruesome looking hunk of steel that was about four times my size. I swore that it could swallow me whole if I got too close to it. But I loved what came out of it, and I vowed that I was going to master it. I was fearless in my attempts to smoke just about anything that I could get my hands on. I didn’t use recipes and therefore, I made a lot of mistakes, and I ruined a lot of really good food but I eventually learned what worked, and what didn’t. I grew up in the south, where barbecue is king but, there was nothing better than what came from our own backyard.

Today I still don’t use recipes from cook books and I’ve learned enough from my mistakes to be a confident cook. I do however, enjoy learning about what others are cooking and sharing my own experiences and recipes as well. I have traveled to the “big four” regions of barbecue… Texas, Memphis, KC and the Carolinas many times, and I’ve eaten a lot of good ‘cue. But I still believe that the best comes out of your own back yard, or at one of those pits we’ve all seen traveling down some lonely road. When it comes to equipment I’m not that much into the high-tech gear, although I will certainly subscribe to it if I find that it improves performance, taste, and puts food on the table quicker. But for the most part, I’m a less-is-more kind of guy. I have never owned a gas grill. That’s right, you heard me… I have never owned a gas grill. I’ve cooked on them before but, I’ve never owned one. No offense meant for those of you who do, and I certainly don’t want a debate about it either. I just don’t like them.

I recently travelled to Kentucky where I tasted some of the best ‘cue I have had outside of my back yard and was stunned to find out that it was Mutton. I was also surprised to be eating such good barbecue in Western Kentucky…. who would’ve thought? This prompted me to begin my search of new ideas, techniques and tastes in barbecue. I’m interested in learning about other types of meat, and not just the basic pork, brisket, and chicken found with most barbecue. So therefore, here I am!

Welcome to the Pit Brian!

Comment

Welcome Brian. I look forward to seeing pics of your cooks and reading about the techniques you employ.

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Brian

Comment

Welcome Aboard, Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian/S View Post
              I have never owned a gas grill...I just don’t like them.
              Oh, a barbeque elitist! Nyuk nyuk....

Welcome. No one will jump on you for not liking gas. If you really want to start something, say a few disparaging words about a Big Green Egg!

Comment

Oh, you mean that ugly, green dino, overpriced thing they call a grill? Nah.. being one of the new kids around here, I wouldn't say anything negative about those.

Comment

(snicker)

Comment

Seriously though....I've been eying one of those over-priced eggs w/custom island at the local dealer. I'll have to REALLY do my research. Perhaps I'll start a thread to ask others about it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here