Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings From The Sierras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings From The Sierras

A pleasure to meet all of you. I'm here to accomplish a couple of things during the Rona. I've set a few goals over the past few months and one of them is to improve my skills with the grill.

Specifically, I'd like to learn how to duplicate the recipe for the Detroit style rib I used to enjoy many years ago in the Detroit/Windsor area. I believe these were prepared on a spit, were spareribs, and had a rub, no sauce. My favorite was at Tunnel BBQ, located in Windsor. But Checker and Zukin's in Detroit were pretty good too!

I found the Tunnel website and I've written an email to them inquiring if the sauce and/or rub they have for sale is what I recall from the 60's. We will see if they reply.

So, I'm on a quest to recreate the sauce, rub, and then learn what cut of rib I need. While I'm at it, I need some info/advice on what equipment I need to pick up to check this bucket list item, off. I have a 20 year old Weber Silver B that is down, ready to be rebuilt, so I'll buy a new grill. I have a neighbor who needs a project and I'll give the old one away. Was thinking the four burner genesis 435 or the the Summit four burner. Obviously, I need to do more research.

So the plan is to settle in with a couple cold pops and do some reading and research here. Of course, if any of you are inclined to want to point me in the right direction, or share any thoughts you may have, I'd be very appreciative.

If this was a biker forum, I'd say, "Rubber Side Down." Not sure what you BBQ guys say to each other!

So, I'll stick with something safe, Go, Blue!

Welcome to the Pit!
    Cheers from Norway

Comment

Welcome aboard from Virginia Beach.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
            Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas, TX. Stay calm and BBQ on!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Some of here use a little ditty, "PBC, PBC, PBC!"

Comment

Welcome from south Texas!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome from TN. I grew up in Detroit, don't remember Zukins or Checker. There was a place a couple of blocks from our house on Grand River that I used to go to a lot, but they have been closed for awhile and I don't remember the name. And you are right - let's go blue!

Comment

• thedeckle
                          thedeckle commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hey Klfflowers, you bleed blue, too! And man,I have great memories of all kinds of delicious food in the Detroit area. Thanks for the welcome. Go Blue!

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

You might remember the Bo, Glenn E. General Patton Schembechler Victory horn. It’ll be interesting what ya come up with as far as the recipes go. I fer one would never have equated BBQ with Windsor, let alone wibs. Welcome, eat good & have fun! "Smoke baby, Smoke"

Comment

• thedeckle
                              thedeckle commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yo, Fireman. Are you kidding? Bo was the man and the battles with Woody were just great. There was nothing better than waking up on a Saturday morning and walking over to the Big House! Senior year we had 50 yard line seats and great memories to this day. And Bob Ufer was THE Meechigan man. Blue lost a great broadcaster when he slipped away. Jackson and Ufer ... they were college football to me.Thanks for the memories, Fireman!

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here