Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the Pit!

What is steering you to a pellet grill and what types of cooking do you primarily plan to do? Do you want to sear a steak? Only Low and Slow? Bake a pizza? What's your budget? Lot's of factors in deciding the best cooker.

I actually really like the SmokeFire. It's a pretty amazing cooker for a pellet grill in it's price zone. Have you had a pellet grill before? Some of the issues with the SmokeFire are actually preconceived notions and a couple of missed promises Weber made pre-release about the product. If you are willing to use drip pans whenever you cook something low and slow that is fatty like a butt, brisket, etc. you greatly reduce the risk of a grease fire.

Are you handy and do you have another grill if the SmokeFire breaks and you have to wait for parts? This grill is not like the other pellet grills on the market and therefore isn't using a lot of what appears to be almost identical parts like the vast majority of the sub $1400 pellet grill market. You will very likely encounter an issue or two that may render your grill inoperable for a week or two (if you can get ahold of Weber support - they're a little buried with calls through this pandemic).

I had a SmokeFire on release day, ran into a couple issues and returned it 2-3 weeks later. I liked it, but was worried if Weber was going to really stand behind it. They were being pretty quiet about the issues users were finding at launch and what little was being said on social media, was coming off as pretty arrogant from one of the Weber 'pitmasters' saying things like even his young daughters can use it without problems. So, I didn't have the patience and was kinda perturbed at the comments from this individual.

Fast forward a few months and I'm still craving the high temp gilling capabilities the SmokeFire provides and Weber has published some updates stating they are fully committed to supporting this grill and will even take them back if they cannot satisfy the customer. So, I bought another one and am currently about 3 weeks in using it multiple nights a week so far (knock on wood) problem free. I sold my gas grill and bought this to replace it. However, I'm very fortunate that if I do have problems I have another grill or two to keep cooking along.

I've documented both trips down SmokeFire lane here if you feel like some light reading:
    Starting up a thread to document my second go round with the Weber SmokeFire. I really liked the grill when I got one at launch, but ended up returning it after having some flameout issues and seeing the issues others had with grease fires and failures to reach high temps. It produced excellent food, but I could easily see the

Starting a new thread to share some pictures and first impressions of the new SmokeFire EX4. I'm not trying to make this a review as I'll leave that to Max Good. Anyone else that has or does pick up a SmokeFire, please feel welcome to add. Please be patient as I'll break this up into several posts and may not do it all in one

As mentioned by Spinaker, there are several very thorough reviews of many pellet grills on the free side by the staff that creates this wonderful hangout for us. Myself, I'm just a junkie that's traded around and had 10 different pellet grills myself looking for the dazzling unicorn in a pellet grill that is as versatile as a Kamado. Depending on your budget and your desires there's probably a great one for you, maybe the SmokeFire maybe something else. I have nothing bad to say about Camp Chef and still have my Woodwind. I'm also very intrigued by the Pitts and Spitts Maverick pellet grills and if I felt like parting with enough dough, I'd probably have a Mak.

Comment

Welcome from Wisconsin. Glad you could join us!

If you limit your choices to one the the highly rated ones over on the free side, you are not likely to be disappointed with your purchase. Beyond that, there are SO many variables involved, only you can answer the question of what is right for you. That said, I have the Camp Chef DLX 24, and I have been very happy with it for a couple of years now. I use it strictly as a smoker/outdoor oven, and do my searing in steel or cast iron pans.

Keep us posted on what you decide. We'd love to join you on the journey.

Comment

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

Hello from St. Cloud and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from southern Minnesota. Enjoy The Pit! I've had a pellet grill since about 2004. My first was a Traeger then a Memphis, and just last week got a MAK. I don't sear on my pellet grill as others have mentioned. A couple brands that impress me (and several others on The Pit) are the Original Grilla and the Blaz N Grill. I'm not sure what your budget is? Good luck with your decision.

https://grillagrills.com/grills/gril...moker-grill-2/

Last edited by Skip; July 22, 2020, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here