Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings & salutations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings & salutations

I posted in Beef a couple of days ago, nervous about my first overnight cook. Started that last midnight, and having survived the night (the house is still standing and the backyard didn't go up in flames) I now feel better about writing an intro for myself.

14 years ago while we were living in NC, I got my first grill, a Weber One-Touch Gold. Made a lot of burgers and hot dogs, steaks, pork tenderloin and country ribs, roasted corn, chicken, things like that, and they were all pretty good. Anything I tried low and slow, like brisket and ribs, were rather sad specimens. I didn't have anyone to ask questions of, and didn't know to look online for forums. Fast forward to 2020 and a quarantine-present to myself of a Weber Performer Deluxe. Started out simply with hamburgers for the first outing, posted pictures on FB, and to my great joy heard from an old friend (Eric, are you reading this?) who put me on to AmazingRibs.com and The Pit. Wow -- good information, lots of recipes, and best of all a bunch of pitmasters great and small I can go to for advice!

Since Memorial Day, I've been expanding my horizons. There's been really good pulled pork, maple-smoked bacon, reverse-seared tri-tip, one disastrous pizza and one much better one, a couple of bulgogi-adjacent ribeyes, and a plank-like brisket which has led me to today's brisket (which is on the Weber now and I believe may have entered its stall; I should get outside and wrap it). A few photos below. I need to learn to photograph better!

Am now in the must-have-all-the-toys phase. Got a Slow N Sear last week, a ThermoPro dual-probe thermometer, a good boning knife, and who knows what'll be next.

There will be a report on my first overnight cook coming soon to a post near you. Thanks to Meathead and all of you for being here!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ann-Marie in the backyard; July 17, 2020, 10:37 AM.

Welcome aboard from Rockland County N.Y. Ya got some good looking cooks there.

Comment

Welcome from south Texas!

Comment

Said it another post but I'll say it again. Welcome to the Pit. Glad you and the meat survived the overnight.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Love that gold performer! Have you ever heard of a pbc barrel cooker? pbc, pbc, pbc!

Comment

• Ann-Marie in the backyard
            Ann-Marie in the backyard commented
            Editing a comment
            I might have, I might have . . . Hey! don't you start being an enabler now!

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm sorry, that train left the minute you hit send with your membership!🙄😀

Thanks fer you bein here! Welcome, cook on & continue to have fun!

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you and those fine cookers.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. Enjoy The Pit!

Comment

Welcome again. I'm glad The Pit is helping you. This is a great place to learn and expand your repertoire.

Comment

Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

Welcome from California! I recall your post about overnight cooks...glad you made it through. The Pit is a great place for info and encouragement!

Also, I have a friend from Michigan who’s mom’s name is Ann-Marie. When I first saw your name and state I thought you might be her...but they’re life long Michigan residents and live in the UP.
                        Last edited by Santamarina; July 17, 2020, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• Ann-Marie in the backyard
                          Ann-Marie in the backyard commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Michigan must be some kind of gathering ground for Ann-Maries! Our next door neighbor is Ann Marie, the mom of our neighbor on the other side is Anne Marie, I know two more from work connections. I've never seen so many of us before! Clearly I'm in the right place.

Welcome from Va Beach.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here