Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello, just bought my first grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome from south Texas! Glad you’re here. Looks like a great start!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from South Carolina

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ... That’s an excellent grill you’ve got there.

Comment

Welcome from NY

Comment

Welcome from Massachusetts, the bbq capital of New England. Great looking first cook. You know you're hooked when as soon as you finish one cook you begin to think about what to put on the smoker or grill next. Join the Pitmaster Club you won't be disappointed.

Comment

Thank you all for the friendly reception!

I'm from Colorado myself.

I've already got a long list of meals I want to prepare on this grill: ribeyes, whole trout, wings, Chicago hot dogs, asparagus, squash, calcots, pulled chicken, leg of lamb. Not to mention some of the grilled Thai recipes from Andy Ricker's Pok Pok cookbook.

Gonna be a busy summer!
                Last edited by RTzero; July 12, 2020, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. You are off to a nice start.

Comment

Welcome RTzero! Good looking cook!

My son has the same grill, and has asked me about doing ribs on it. Do you just use one burner at one end, and put the ribs at the other end of the grill? He has asked my advice, which was to do just that, but since I've never smoked with anything other than charcoal and wood, I don't have any experience doing this on a gas grill.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
                      Welcome RTzero! Good looking cook!

My son has the same grill, and has asked me about doing ribs on it. Do you just use one burner at one end, and put the ribs at the other end of the grill? He has asked my advice, which was to do just that, but since I've never smoked with anything other than charcoal and wood, I don't have any experience doing this on a gas grill.
                      Here's a photo of how I set it up. I only used the left burner under the water pan, with wood chips behind it in the smallest disposable loaf pan I could find (I stabbed a dozen holes in the bottom for airflow). Partway through I had to replenish the water. There's only about 1.5 inches of space between the bars and the grates, so you can't fit a very deep pan in there.

I was able to get the front 2/3rds of the indirect side to 225, but the back third was hotter, so partway through I rotated the ribs so they cooked more evenly. It took a lot of fiddling with the left burner to get to a stable 225.

At the very end I turned the middle and right burners on their lowest setting and brushed on a little sauce. I let it sizzle for about 3 minutes per side then took the ribs off.

This was a 3 pound slab (including bones) and it took just over four hours from putting the ribs on the grill to taking them off, plus about 45 minutes fiddling to get the temperature right before putting the ribs on. Right now I just have a Thermopen thermometer which wasn't the greatest for measuring grill temps, so while I was cooking the ribs I ordered a Thermoworks Dot with the air probe and clip to make that part easier next time.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• jfmorris
                        jfmorris commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks! I also started with a Theroworks Dot + air probe for my first leave in thermometer, and it worked great. I would actually insert the included meat probe into the meat, and the air probe in its clip to the grate, and I would switch the wires on the Dot to alternate between checking meat versus grate temperature.

Later I upgraded to a Thermoworks Smoke, when it was on sale, which I am still using. I use the Dot plenty though, as its a great little unit.

Welcome from Jersey City

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta. Great wibs by the way.

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you and those ribs!!

Comment

Welcome from TN. Great first time ribs!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
                              Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here