Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome from Texas!
    Where ya at

I'm loving the PBC. Folks that have forgotten more than I know about bbq also like the Oklahoma Joe..... I personally can't own anything that brags about being from Oklahoma.

But they should both serve you well.
    Pick one. You'll love it.

Id say this - if you want to "set as default" and not fiddle with anything, the PBC is great and will turn out tasty food.

As is, bronco will give you a little more control..... But it's from Oklahoma......

If you like to mod stuff yourself and customize..... Pbc is the way to go.

In seriousness, buy both. MCS is real and unavoidable.

​​​​

Comment

• Jarin
      Jarin commented
      Editing a comment
      It probably makes it worse but you do know they are from China and not Oklahoma right? 😄

I have a PBC and it makes some great food. It did take a little time to figure out how to work it. I’m not sure how easy the bronco is to use so I’m no big help with it. Both are fairly heap so IMO cost isn’t a factor either.
    I personally would get a PBC, because there’s a ton of information and help for it right here on Amazing Ribs and I know from first hand experience that their customer service has been great!!

Comment

While I'm certainly not sufficiently qualified to help ya choose betwixt th two, since I've never, even fer a minute, run either one them cookers, I did wanna say:

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
      Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Best of luck with yer cooker choice, be sure to show us pics of th foods ya come up with...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 10, 2020, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado (PBC) ... and don’t worry (PBC), I won’t try to influence (PBC) your thinking at all.

(PBC 😎)

Comment

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

If you are one who likes to fiddle around with temp management then certainly go with the OKJ.
            When you come to your senses I'm sure they will still be making the PBC and PBJ. PBC! PBJ!

Comment

Welcome, from the Land of Enchantment!

Comment

Originally posted by HawkerXP View Post
                If you are one who likes to fiddle around with temp management then certainly go with the OKJ.
                When you come to your senses I'm sure they will still be making the PBC and PBJ. PBC! PBJ!
                HawkerXP brings up a good opportunity to refine term definitions. On subjective things like "best charcoal", "good smoke", "tender", and so on we all throw those around as if there's only one standard. Of course that's not so, it's based on what that term means to the user. As it is with "fiddle around with temp management". I find examples with more explanation are sometimes more helpful. A few days ago I did a brisket point cook on the Bronco. I set it for a 250ish degree at the grate cook and it ran steady in the 250-275 range for most of the 7.5 hour cook. I did have to adjust twice in that time. Once mid cook or so when it was climbing up to near 300, and then later toward the end when it started to drop and went under 250 by a few degrees. I attribute that to my use of lump rather than briquettes. I've been playing with a variety of brands of lump recently. On this cook I laid down a layer of Fogo Quebracho on the bottom of the basket and topped it with Golden's lump (which I believe is packaged by B&B, but only a guess on my part). My guess is that the 300 spike was perhaps the result of the Quebracho going off as Fogo claims it burns hotter. Maybe. The drop toward the end was the likely result of the lump thinning out as the volume of charcoal available diminished. Once at the end of the 7.5 hour cook I shut down both dampers and when the fire was out there was roughly 1/4-1/5 of a basket of remaining coals. So there's some clarification of how much management was needed.

Oh, and to follow on the inspiration of our buddy Hawker...…………………..OJB, OJB, OJB

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                  Uncle Bob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When these online forums are at their best is when similar minded (warped?) personalities find a way to have some fun with the back and forth stuff. I'd like to think we've reached that level with our PBC/OJB back and forth...………………..I think I get it anyway.

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree! PBC, PBC, PBC! hehheheh

• Uncle Bob
                  Uncle Bob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Some people's klids……………...………………...

many thanks for all the help and comments. no diss on the PBC, versatility of the OKJ at this point. will pull the trigger and buy something later this summer. oh and im in louisiana. mercy but it's hot!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here