Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ribs done right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ribs done right

good morning pit masters. I have a question about a finished rib. I personally like my ribs to pull cleanly off of the bone. but i have a friend that disputes that and says that you should have to bite the meat off of the bone. if anyone would care to share their thoughts i would be very interested. Thanks in advance.

What do you like is the answer. I think it's personal preference. fall off the bone or gnaw on them all the right way. IMHO

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

I like it when they fight back a little but let’s face it I’m not turning down any ribs

Comment

I prefer them as tender as they can be without actually falling off the bone. I get why competition cooks do what they do, but that's not really what I'm going for in my back yard.

Edit: ok, so maybe I'm not losing my mind after all and I did in fact answer this question already. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ibs-done-right

Welcome to the Pit!
      Last edited by Steve R.; July 9, 2020, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Tell your friend, "You do you, and I'll do me." :-) I prefer some chew, others prefer fall off the bone, there is no right or wrong. If those you're cooking for enjoy the meal, then you've done it right.

Comment

Agree with above...for competition definitely a bite, but for your backyard.....What you like.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
            Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Certainly personal preference as to how to make yer ribs, highly subjective.

Try some different ways, they's nearly countless methods shared here, an see what yerself, an th other 3-5 mouths yer feedin prefer.

Make th Final Fave(s) often, but keep tryin other methods, as well... New Favourites happen.

No sense havin multiple carnivorous lab rats at yer disposal, if ya don't properly utilize em!
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 9, 2020, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I prefer just a little tug. If they literally fall off the bone they're overcooked.

Comment

As long as it comes off easy, I don't care. Tender and in my mouth is all I care about...

Comment

My personal preference is to cook ribs to a "bite off the bone" texture because I think half the fun of ribs is gnawing on them.

But I won't turn refuse "fall off the bone" ribs if someone else cooks 'em that way. Don't dis the cook!

Unfortunately, "fall off the bone" ribs can taste more like braised pot roast due to being steamed. While I don't mind a good pot roast, that flavor is not what I want when I've got my mouth set for ribs. A braised flavor is a real fault in my opinion.

Comment

• texastweeter
                    texastweeter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Same boat here.

I like wibs.

Comment

If I'm cooking for myself, I generally go for the half moon bite shape, because I pretend Myron Mixon is judging me.

I tend to go towards fall off the bone ( an extra hour or so on the heat) when im cooking for a big group or my 3 boys as that's what they prefer.

Know your tastes and the tastes of your audience and go from there!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here