Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Sear

This is my first day as a member here. I have a "burning" question. For several years I have been doing a lot of sous vide cooking. The hardest part is to finish with a really good sear. I have an aging Weber Genesis and it just won't do the job. Grey is not a sear, brown is. So I had transitioned to the stove top, using primarily cast iron (preheated in 500 degree oven). But it's summer in Oregon now, and finishing outside is, well, good. Now I have started using a cast iron griddle on the Weber. This works! Yes. Here's the question though. If I get a new Char Broil with the TRU-Infrared system, can I get a good sear without a dedicated sear burner?

Welcome to the pit!
    It appears you could get a good sear on that grill... https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...ews-filter-bar
    look around a bit here and you'll find a lot of info on sous vide and sear after; there are lots of options. My latest way is using an Ooni pizza oven for a quick all around sear.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ge2#post867378
    https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ge3#post868517
    Last edited by treesmacker; July 6, 2020, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Welcome from Wisconsin. Glad you could join us!

If you are committed to getting another gas grill, then you have a lot of options, but I would read the reviews over on the free side, and a proceed with caution. A lot of manufactures offer tons of bells and whistles, but come up short on actual performance.

For the same money or less, you could go with the tried and true Weber Kettle combined with either a SNS or a Vortex. I'm not going to wade into the discussion over which one is "better", but let's just say people on both sides have strongly held opinions. This option would also open up the opportunity to do a charcoal based reverse sear. I have nothing against the sous vide, and use mine at least twice a week. But hands down, smoke then sear steaks, are just better than sous vide, IMHO.

No matter what you decide, please let us come along for the ride. The more pictures the better!

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. Sorry I'm familiar enough with the Gas Grill you mention but if it gets very hot it should work. However, like you, I've tried several ways to get a good sear and for me hot charcoal with a grate on top gives me the best results. Even a grate on top of a Charcoal Chimney would work. IMO I like this better because a flat cast iron doesn't sear the unevenness of a Tri Tip for me. Do what works best for you.

Comment

I think the best sear is achieved by placing the meat directly over hot coals. Buy a Weber Smokey Joe for a few bucks and you've got all you need.

Comment

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome, from the land of enchantment!

Comment

I had the Charbroil Tru-Infrared grill and my son has one now. Yes you can sear very well on it. The thing gets screaming hot if you need it to.

Comment

Thanks everyone!!

Comment

Welcome from Westerm Massachusetts.

Comment

If you have a charcoal chimney and an old grae, here's a cheap and killer solution....

Comment

put the cast iron pan on the flavor bars

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here