Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from PA Dutch Country!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome from NE Florida!

Comment

Originally posted by Oakgrovebacon View Post
      Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois! Nice looking bass in your profile picture! I live on my grandfathers place that had a shed that was always referred to as the smokehouse. Although I did never see it being used as such. I do recall some hams hanging from the rafters in the late fall and winter. They would have been cured with Morton’s sugar cure. And hung in cool weather for several weeks. I have an old paper back book with handwritten notes from that era about curing and processing meat. Definitely simpler times.

I remember helping my mother rub the fresh hams in a large wooden tub. Think it was brown sugar, salt, saltpeter and not sure what else. Wish I would have gotten the recipe. The smokehouse was only used in fall and winter and the rest of the time it was kind of "club house" for my neighborhood friends. Remember the charred black walls, the rafters with spikes and some hooks and a big tractor rim in the middle of the dirt floor. I remember when in operation they used oak sawdust in that rim and smoke the hams & sausage and summer sausage for weeks. The building is gone but I can still see the foundation. Those were the days! After the butcher day all the volunteers would gather around a huge table in the kitchen for a fresh sausage dinner and all the Pa Dutch fixing! Great memories of a much simpler time and now I have problems remembering what day of the week it is!!!!
      Last edited by ddevine; July 18, 2020, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here