Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’m new...and maybe a little lostp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome from the mountains of North Georgia!

I'll add my two cents, with a vote for the PBC. I'm not quite as rabid a fan of the PBC as some here are, but that might be because I've just been bitten. I've only had my PBC for about a month. I'm also a relative noob to BBQ and grilling, having eaten lots, but cooked very little. Years ago, I bought a Weber kettle, and just wasn't impressed. But that is due more to my inexperience than any fault in the device, and perhaps my lack of persistence.

The shear number and types of devices offered now is staggering. The technology being offered (bluetooth, wifi, temperature controls, automated fans, etc.) is incredible. But I prefer the basics. I want a device that is simply built, simple to operate, and simple to maintain. (I don't like all the built-in technology. I can buy separate add-ons for the technology, if I wish.) The PBC meets that criteria. Simple.

I also own a Big Green Egg. I love both of these units. The BGE gives me the capability for numerous cook configurations, and lots of airflow and temperature control (all with lots of additional add-ons I've purchased!) The PBC does not have all of the different configurations, but does give me the ability to hang meat and it offers a larger cook quantity using that method. And, as others have mentioned, a different flavor profile. I do not chase the temperature in the PBC as I might with the BGE. I start it and then periodically check it. My first cook in it was pork spareribs. They came out great. The only issue was that they were a bit salty, but that was due to my prep and the rub I used (i.e. operator error.) This weekend I will be doing more ribs, plus I will be trying the Pit Barrel Fried Chicken that Greg Mrvich of Ballistic BBQ (YouTube) has recommended. These are all about getting the meat prepped and ready, and then letting it cook. I'm not spending a lot of time "fiddling with the mo-sheen."

I will echo what jfmorris said. Although the PBC can be used as a grill, it is not ideal for that purpose. It is more of a smoker. However, it isn't a true smoker either, not in the low and slow temperature sense, at least. So it ends up in between those two definitions. It cooks faster than a traditional smoker, and many call it one of the best "rib cookers" on the market. It compliments my BGE, and that is the beauty of it.

When I get a bad case of MCS, having had nasty bouts with NAS (NIkon Acquisition Syndrome, well known to photopgraphers), I've tried to look at the overlap. Any cooker will have some overlap in abilities with any other cooker. But to what degree? If I have two or more cookers that have 90% overlap, perhaps it was more MCS than need. If I can keep the overlap down, then I tend to focus more on what a new unit can do, or do much better, than what I already have.

OK... maybe that was my five cents worth.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will be able to create some great food. And, there is always something new to learn, and the folks here are ready and willing to help you learn and to learn with you.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do. And again, welcome! We're glad you are here.
    Last edited by RogoTBull; July 2, 2020, 04:24 PM.

Comment

There is one & only one answer that you should do, YES!
      This should make you feel better. Any other advice that yer lookin fer, just ask. Welcome, eat good and have fun!

Oh, and ferget the p when yer lost.
      Last edited by FireMan; July 2, 2020, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• Calicowdoc
        Calicowdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Well you know, fat excited fingers.

Huntington Beach welcomes you.

Kettles rock and the SnS is a game changer. The 26 kettle is a beast and has real estate.

You will never regret that purchase.

Each of those cookers are winners. I’ll echo above. They are all different.

I’m tempted to get a PBC just for chicken but I haven’t even started window shopping for previously approved gasser.

throw a dart if you must but my vote is for a 26” kettle w/SnS and spin grate. Get the XR-50 while you are there and your golden until the next itch.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        "until the next itch", the only absolute...…………..

Welcome, from the land of enchantment! I love my Weber kettle and SnS! You can’t go wrong!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit!!!! You may not have noticed, but not only have you fallen very deep into the rabbit hole you mentioned, but you have also contracted a serious case of MCS (More Cooker Syndrome). It is far more contagious than COVID could ever hope to be! lol. Joking aside, welcome to the pit! I think that you will find in very short order that there is no single solution. I have a kettle with SnS, Oklahoma Joe Offset Stick Burner, and my Weber Gasser. I WILL add a pellet pooper of some type and a kamado at some point. And a PBC. Lol. Welcome again, and good luck choosing your first next cooker!

Comment

I’m the guy who says that you don’t need a lot of different cookers.

I started with a kamado, and that was pretty good for a few years. I added a Weber kettle, and then pretty much everything fell into place. See, the kamado can do low and slow really well, but it isn’t all that great at grilling. It grills, but that isn’t what it does best. And the Weber, it grills wonderfully, but it isn’t as good as the kamado at low and slow. It will do it, but that isn’t what it’s best at, even with the S&S.

For me, that’s enough. I absolutely get the itch, we all do. But what I got works. I can grill and smoke at the same time, I can use both cookers for grilling or both cookers for smoking. I can do a rotisserie in the Weber while a pork butt is smoking in the kamado. Or I can grill night after night on the Weber, and then one night do a brisket on the kamado.

Now, sub in the PBC for the kamado. A PBC fills that same niche. It can grill in a pinch. If you have a PBC to smoke and a Weber to grill, you can be set for a really long time, like I am. And you can spend all those overload dollars on Wagyu and Berkshire instead of steel.

Now, as a fun game: Unlimited dollars? I’d get a Komodo Kamado and a Hasty Bake. But that is vanity talking there. The Weber and the backyard grade kamado make the exact same food.
          Last edited by Mosca; July 2, 2020, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

Welcome from NE Florida! And FireMan is correct. Buy them all. I will say that having a PBC and a Kettle makes me feel like more of a man that HouseHomey who does not have a PBC. Until I remember that he has a Primo XL and I don't - yet.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                The Primos gotta be on sale somewhere. We should find you one. Cmon, let’s spend your money.

• hoovarmin
                hoovarmin commented
                Editing a comment
                We just spent it all - on a boat. MCS applies to that, too

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois!

Comment

Alright folks, thanks for all the feedback. Between what has been said here and looking through some older conversations on this site I decided to go back to my original thought and picked up a PBC last night. The wife wants ribs so I will be making some independence day ribs as my initial cook on it. I'll head on back later to the PBC topic page and let you all know how it goes.

Comment

• RogoTBull
                  RogoTBull commented
                  Editing a comment
                  PBC! PBC! PBC! Now, the big question. What do you buy next?

Welcome from Minnesota.

Comment

Salutations from Hays, Kansas! There are a ton of cookers out there. I'm with above posters and recommend taking some time to make a decision on what else you want to add to your collection. Currently I own a Yoder YS-640 pellet grill, a Saber Gas Grill and 3 Weber Kettle grills. I'm interested in acquiring a cabinet smoker now.

Learn what you have and what you really dig cooking and then begin to add more cookers that will help you accomplish that goal. Lots of very helpful folks here with a wide variety of cookers and experiences who all enjoy helping and talking about food.

Good luck and again, Welcome!

PCT

Comment

Welcome from North Shore Mass!

I have a Weber Summit Charcoal Grill. It does everything a Kettle does and everything a Kamado does. It is one of the most versatile grills/smokers available.

I always wanted a Hasty Bake but then read how hard it is to dial in and how "leaky" it is. Very difficult to hold low temps and needs to be modified to work right. Not for me at that price.

All grills are a compromise of one kind or another. You need to find what suits your needs.

My wish list includes an M36 grill and a Mak 2 Star

Good luck on your journey!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from Texas. You’ll enjoy it here.

Well, now you’ve heard all the good folks here filibuster about this one and that one and these and those. I’m with FireMan -YES! The deal is, whatever you get, it ain’t going to be the last one! So, as my father used to say when he retired, "I can’t make a wrong turn." You can’t either.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here