Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Down East North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Down East North Carolina

I am new to the art of smoking. I just bought a Masterbuilt Digital 140G, which I love/hate depending on the hour. Temp setting goes to 275 but the max temp according to my own digital thermometer only reaches 235 which is high enough for most smoking tasks, but I just hate lying equipment. So far I have smoked spare ribs, boston butt, and chuck roasts with mixed results. Not the fault of the smoker thus far. On the ribs the instructions were absolutely wrong, 3 hours at 185, I should have know better. Too tough to eat. Next day I put what was left in crock pot and six hours later they were bone sucking good. Boston butt was great but for 2nd ever smoking I tried a 12lb butt. The 163 degree stall killed me. I knew my smoker was broke, the new digital blue-tooth thermometer was not working, yet everything said that it was the correct temp in the smoker the meat rose to 162 fairly quickly but the "stall", I never heard of it. Five hours and I was in a full panic and the invited guest were arriving. I had allowed 12 hours cooking time, but now was searching the fridge for hot dogs or bologna. At the last minute, 11 1/2 hours I saw 165 and at 13 hours we got to 203. There was no resting time. We dug in like ravenous vultures that we were. It came out really quite good. All was forgiven. As you can tell, I have a lot to learn, and figure who to believe. The videos make it look so easy.
    The guy on the rib suite recommended a rub, that was supposed to be the best ever, we almost had to call the fire department to hose off our taste buds. My fault because after cooling down, I decided to see what was in this brimstone. Third ingredient by volume was ghost pepper. Gee, I wonder why it was so hot. Lesson learned. I look forward to this site and maybe t can help me steer clear of the "rocks and shoals". It couldn't get much worse. Anyway I am a newbie and it will get better if I just read the instructions and ingredients first.
    Hello Out There!!!
    Steve

Welcome from TN Steve. This is the right place - these guys will have you turning out perfect q in no time.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia.

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas! It iis a great place to grow your skills.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado, Steve ...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Steve. For future reference, you can cut a large butt in half and it will cook a bit quicker. And try Meahead's own "Meathead's Memphis Dust". The recipe is on the free side.

Comment

Welcome from south Texas!

Comment

welcome from trent woods

Comment

Welcome from NE Florida!

Comment

Remember, next time you can serve some bologna horse dervi (that’s multiple derves). I have a rilly good recipe. Welcome, eat good and have fun!
                              Last edited by FireMan; June 29, 2020, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here