Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Toronto!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Toronto!

hi everybody! I've been smoking meat for about three years now. I'm the guy in January and minus fifteen (C) still making ribs. I didn't always like ribs, I used to think they were too much work to eat. But this was before I met my wife from the Caribbean and they showed me what real ribs are! BBQ in its low and slow sense is not a typically Canadian thing. We normally are the direct heat in the backyard types. Thanks to my wife, a few visits to good BBQ joints and meathead's articles, I have gained a new appreciation for making these things. Like anything, those of us who commit to learning the time honoured processes and try to perfect the art and science that is BBQ, can enjoy truly amazing ribs! Now, all my mates are begging for help and instructions. Who would have thought?

My issue is that I'm pretty health conscious so keeping it healthy and tasty is a constant battle. I have settled on Memphis style ribs where the flavour comes from the rub not sauce. It's cut the sugar down and interestingly garnered me more recognition for the shock value in sauceless ribs! I'm just happy to feed people good food and enjoy good times with good people!

Thanks meathead and company! Happy to be a part of this club!

Mike

Welcome Mike! We're glad you're here. Memphis Dust is so well balance for ribs sauce isn't needed at all.

Comment

I agree. I took the one from about.com and tweaked it slightly. I am finally at a point where I have the fundamentals down and can start getting creative.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Mike!

Comment

Welcome Aboard, Mike!

When is that crazy mayor Rob Ford coming out of retirement?

Comment

Hello, Mike. Just got back from your beautiful city Monday. What a great town. Every time I go I visit the St. Lawrence Market. And is there a hipper street in the world than Bloor?

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Mike

Comment

Thanks guys!

Smarkley, he's a special guy! Hope he's getting the help he needs though.

Thanks, for the compliment Meathead! Toronto is pretty awesome! The St Lawrence market truly is amazing. It's where you get the uniqueness of the farmer's market in a historically rich venue all year round. Which for us is important given the lengthy winters. I used to work near Yorkville which is I think, the core of the hip aspect you mention. Nothing like a summer lunch on a rooftop patio with cool drink!

If you're looking for super hip though, I admit, Montreal and Rue St Denis are where it's at. Not to mention Schwartz's Montreal smoked meat sandwiches, a staple and required during every visit! Now I'm hungry...
                Last edited by dancingzorba; May 31, 2015, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dancingzorba View Post
                  hi everybody! I've been smoking meat for about three years now.
                  You better take it out, it's probably pretty dry!

(barrump-bum!)

So, how's it goin' eh? (best Canadian accent)

SE MI here, and you ROTTEN SOB'S TOOK OUR HOCKEY COACH!

Seriously, enjoy him. Mike Babcock is a stand up guy, and he deserves the best. The Leafs will become a destination team for stars, the ride begins now.

Comment

Welcome dancingzorba.. and yes - with a good rub there's no need for sauce...

Comment

Haha! Yeah, I was shooting for jerky!

I was accompanying your words, in my head, with Rick Moranis who always brings his 'A' game Canadian accent to his roles.

Mike Babcock should be good. We need him in the worst way. I mean, the Leafs are the Yankees of hockey from a profitability perspective but haven't won since the 60's or really made the playoffs since late 90's or early 2000's consistently. To me that says more than players' egos, more than coaches - its systemic in the organisation. If a guy like Babcock can't fix this then the big wigs need to take a look in the mirror.

To be fair though, he's just coming back home!

Comment

• Usernamevalid
                        Usernamevalid commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ha! I had Moranis in my head too, the old Doug and Bob days!

• dancingzorba
                        dancingzorba commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Totally!

Hey man thanks for the support!!

Honey I Shrunk the Kids.....CLASSIC!!

Comment

Welcome Zorba. Anyone who's grilling/smoking in the winter will fit in great here. As for dry rubbed ribs, Memphis Dust is good, Huskee has a good recipe on here, and I use one from Dr. BBQ (Ray Lampe) that also gives great flavor.

Comment

• dancingzorba
                          dancingzorba commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Will give those a try!

I always say, the snow makes a great beer holder!

​Welcome to The Pit dancingzorba! Nice to read a good intro post like yours. Like many here, I don't sauce my ribs either. I've tried it but I like a good rub on ribs better than a good sauce.

Great job on your signature, looks like you've been here a while?

If you haven't already, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• dancingzorba
                          dancingzorba commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Huskee! Yup, I am a dedicated follower of this site and if for no other reason, my membership is paying back a debt to allow you guys to keep spreading the word! Of course I am excited on many other levels to be here though! Will get through the homework!

Hello from a fellow cold weather 'Qer in Calgary, go Flames!

Comment

• dancingzorba
                          dancingzorba commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Cheers mate! We are our own breed! Glad to know me being from Toronto didn't put you off too much!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here