Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello From Wales! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota.

Comment

I’m pretty new here too, but welcome from Canada!

Comment

NPJ77, Welcome from Wyoming. Where in Wales are you? I had eight aunts and uncles. Five were born and lived in Tradegar before the family emigrated to the town where I live now. My dad was born here. I'm proud to say that half of me is Welsh.

Comment

Welcome from NE Florida!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Huntsville, Alabama! My father's family came across the pond from Wales in the early 1600's, and my mother's family from England around the same time - both coming to Virginia. So, been a while since any of us hailed from Wales!

Look forward to seeing what you are cooking over there, and getting to know you.

Comment

Greetings from South Africa. With the surname Hogg you know where my roots lie.

Comment

Welcome from the great State of Texas !!!

Hope you have a "wale" of a good time here !!!
                  (sorry couldn’t help myself)

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!
                    Cheers from Norway

Comment

Welcome from sunny SoCal. (California)
                      I have friends & family in Wales...mostly between Colwyn, Llandudno, and Conwy...and then a jump to Clwyd. LOL

Comment

Welcome Nathan, I am glad t hear you are enjoying your pellet grill. My youngest son is named Nathan. He is quite proud of our Welsh heritage. He got himself a Welsh red dragon tattoo while serving in the US Army.

Comment

Originally posted by wu7y View Post
                          NPJ77, Welcome from Wyoming. Where in Wales are you? I had eight aunts and uncles. Five were born and lived in Tradegar before the family emigrated to the town where I live now. My dad was born here. I'm proud to say that half of me is Welsh.
                          Born in Pontypool, now living in Cardiff. Not far from Tredegar, but everywhere is pretty close in Wales :-)

Comment

• wu7y
                            wu7y commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I know what you mean. Everywhere in Wyoming is pretty close too but in a different way. One of our governors once said, "Wyoming is a small town with long streets."

• surfdog
                            surfdog commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Can’t say I’ve ever been to Pontypool or Tredegar... Though I have heard of Pontypool...but embarrassingly cannot recall why. O_o It will come to me...or not. LOL

I’ve been to Cardiff & Swansea, but that’s about the extent of my South Wales adventures. LOL
                            But again, welcome aboard and we look forward to sharing this bbq/grilling/cooking experience with you.
                            Last edited by surfdog; June 21, 2020, 04:43 PM. Reason: ‘cause some days I canno’ spell. And Siri just mocks me. LOL

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
                          Nathan, ooh, tell us about the Prime Wib. There are many hands on deck to work out any problems you may have had, or mebbee ya already figgered it out. Welcome, eat good & have fun!
                          Wasn't soooo bad I guess. Followed a Traeger recipe, so was a Dijon Mustard layer with Herbs De Provence. Cooked it at 325 for about 3.5 hours. Didn't really take too much notice if the time, but pulled it out when internal temp hit 120 as I expected it to cook a little more during an hours rest.

Ultimately was very tough to carve and very chewy. Lots of fat and gristle that was just a nightmare to carve around and was just a lot of hassle to eat. The pieces of meat when you did get a good piece were super moist and tender though.

My thinking is that it was a little under cooked? Was looking for medium rare, so maybe should have let it get to 125/130? Oy maybe it was just a crappy piece of meat?

Would love to have everyones thoughts.

Attached Files

Comment

• surfdog
                            surfdog commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I’m with wu7y in that overall it looks really good...but can see some problem areas.
                            Luck of the draw on that day perhaps... That’s one of those times where I would give the vendor one more shot...and then move on if it failed again because the problem does not appear to be the way it was cooked.

Just curious but, what grade was it? And is a higher grade available that won’t cost a car payment?

• NPJ77
                            NPJ77 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Unfortunately surfdog, the UK has a classification system but its nowhere near as clear as the USDA one. And worse, the shops and butchers generally don't tell you anyway!

I paid around $75 for this cut from a local butcher, which seemed reasonable. Seems like I'll just have to give it another try!

• surfdog
                            surfdog commented
                            Editing a comment
                            NPJ77 I never cared much for the UK grading system, especially as I was so used to the USDA by the time I ever purchased meat there.

The USDA is simpler, but not perfect either...for one, it’s voluntary. And if lacking a USDA shield/logo...it can be whatever the store wants to sell. And sometimes they play games...like calling it "Choice Select." LOL Second, as it’s graded long before it’s cut into steaks, it’s possible to get it at the extremes and be VERY close to the grade above/below.

I can't tell if the butcher left on some lifter meat, or if this is just a different breed of cattle, but there's something funny about that cross section in your photo.

Edit: Upon a second look, it's definitely lifter meat, defined as a cut which sits on top of the prime rib and has layers of meat along with fat and connective tissue. Let me upload a pic and you can give me your opinion. Lifter meat would sit on top of the prime rib where I drew the blue lines.This picture does not have lifter meat.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by sdom1; June 26, 2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

sdom1 - thanks for taking the time to look at that. Interestingly I think there might well have been that layer, I went back through some pics and found the best I could. Of course I’m still so excited by everything I smoke that everything gets photographed at every stage!

Butcher actually asked me how it was and I discussed that I was a little disappointed. Result was that he’s offered me my next one 50% off the price!

prime rib isn’t really a thing in the UK so I’ll take your image with me and talk to him about it.

Attached Files

Comment

• surfdog
                              surfdog commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Now THAT is proper customer service.
                              Sounds a vendor that wants to cultivate long term customers.

• sdom1
                              sdom1 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I always thought the UK invented prime rib. The US gets roast beef from you for sure. But yeah, it may have been that the eye was a bit small and he wanted to round out the roast? I know Berkshire pork chops often have the equivalent of that lifter meat on it for that reason.

Anyway, nice to see the butcher taking care of you. That's a man who knows how to play the long game.

• sdom1
                              sdom1 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Also, even if you get the same cut the next time, you may be able to trim that lifter meat and cook it as its own cut. I can't remember what that cut is called, but it's pretty good.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here