Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Smoker (of meats) from Martinez, Ca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Smoker (of meats) from Martinez, Ca

I found your site looking for smoked pulled pork tips. I normally still to briskets and tri tip for smoking but my local Costco hasn’t had any brisket for about a month. Decided to give a pork shoulder a shot. Wish me luck!

Welcome neighbor from the Delta. Pork butt is very forgiving and good.

Comment

• JasonS
      JasonS commented
      Editing a comment
      Keeping my fingers crossed LOL. How is the Winco or Costco out your way looking on brisket? I haven’t been that far East on HW 4 since I moved from Antioch a few years ago.

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      I have some mobility issues and with the crowds I have not been to a costco in quite a while. I get meat on line often. Freezer is packed.

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas!

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Jason.
        do you have a plan for smokin' that butt?

Comment

• JasonS
          JasonS commented
          Editing a comment
          Kind of. I’ve been looking at recipes for dry rubs on line and will apply the rub about 12 hours before I start the cooking. I have a WSM 22. My plan is to get coals started in the chimney at 0400, and have the meat on by 0500. I still haven't decided if wrapping it in butcher paper is necessary or not. I’m fishing for tips though!

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          JasonS - Are you going to dry brine it? Most here will apply kosher salt up to 24 hours before they plan on starting the cook. about 1/2 tsp per pound should do it. That's only if there is no salt in the rub you plan on using.
          Meathead's Memphis Dust is a great no-salt rub, (on the free side). Also, if you have a large butt, (to cook ), you can cut it in half to get it to cook quicker, and as a bonus, you will get more bark.

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

No luck involved, yer pork butt is goin to be tasty, yup. Welcome, eat good and have fun!

Comment

Welcome from south Texas!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here