Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renew(bie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renew(bie)

I’m a lifetime griller/BBQer, but just now learning from Meathead I’ve been doing it wrong for the last 30+ years! Actually, due to a traumatic attack involving a gunshot to the head 6 years ago, I lost all of my prior equipment (along with everything else)... my BBQ pit, gas grill, smoker, the whole bit.... so I wasn’t able to BBQ or grill until now, so in the process of brushing up on equipment, techniques, recipes, etc, I came across Amazing Ribs & Meathead’s articles, and have been devouring the free ones while waiting for my grill to arrive (TOMORROW!!!), and just now joined the Pitmaster group for more!
    At this point, all I could afford was a small Weber kettle, but I’m confident buying quality over size will allow me to perfect the technique (while saving for a larger QUALITY grill and/or smoker).
    I ordered the grill 10 days ago direct from Weber, paid for 2-day shipping, only to learn they drag feet processing the order, but probably to my benefit, as I’ve had a lot of time to research & acquire a charcoal chimney, "lump hardwood briquettes", and a Thermopro thermometer.
    Really studied up on technique on the site, and have a good handle on everything that I’ve been doing wrong all these years, and I CAN’T WAIT FOR THE GRILL TO ARRIVE TOMORROW TO TEST ALL THIS OUT, BECAUSE I’VE LOVED BBQ & GRILLED FOOD, EVEN DONE WRONG ALL THESE YEARS! CANNOT WAIT TO TASTE IT DONE RIGHT!
    Just lucked into a pair of 2” thick strip steaks at the local chain grocer, just Choice, but nicely marbled! Grill arrives tomorrow, have everything ready, gonna try reverse-sear for the first time, but confident I’ve already learned enough here that, even the first time on a new grill, I can AT LEAST surpass my prior results (I’ve always grilled thick steaks on "Warp 10", or seared then finished).
    Really looking forward to learning from all of the Pitmasters here!
    Last edited by patcrail; June 14, 2020, 04:28 PM.

BTW, it’s only me and the wife at the moment, so the small kettle should be just about right for "everyday" cooking, saving up for larger for entertaining!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas!

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta

Comment

Welcome from TN. Make sure you post pics of that first cook so we can all drool on our keyboards!!!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
            Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Cain't go wrong with a kettle, such versatile cookers...

Best wishes on yer first cook, amigo!

Comment

Welcome from Alabama. Looking forward to seeing a picture of those steaks.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Can't wait to see you in action. Don't forget, we need pictures!
                Craigslist is our friend. Check it out when ready, or even when you're not ready. Some good cookers pop up from time to time at great prices! But you already have a good one coming. carry on!
                Last edited by HawkerXP; June 14, 2020, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Salutations from Hays, Kansas!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome from the mountains of NC. I have used a kettle since the late 1970's. It is a very versatile beast. It can smoke, grill, reverse sear and anything else that any grill can do. I smoke bacon, turkeys, prime rib, grill steaks, chicken, grilled veggies, you name it a Weber kettle grill can do it.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                          Mr. Bones commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yessir. It can, an it do.

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Glad you're back in the saddle, and welcome from NE Florida! Years ago I lost everything due to a traumatic event as well. I will never forget when I had recovered enough to go and purchase another Kettle and the feeling of restoration it brought to me and my kids the first time we used it. I get choked-up thinking about it. Thanks for including us in such a meaningful event for you!
                          Last edited by hoovarmin; June 15, 2020, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here