Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from North Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from North Georgia

Greetings from the beautiful mountains of North Georgia!

I am a new club member but have been lurking on the free side of this site for well over a year.

I am the quintessential "Charcoal Lump Chef." Notice I said, "charcoal lump" and not "lump charcoal." That is because I can take any food, on any cooking device, and turn it in to a dry, hard, and black lump (like charcoal)!

My wife is retired teacher. I work from home, with a limited commute (one side of the house to the other), so I am still working (at least for a bit.) However, because I can work from anywhere... if I have an internet connection... we decided three years ago to sell our home in the Atlanta area and move to the mountains.

I have a large Big Green Egg and have just added a Pit Barrel Cooker. So now I figured it was time to really learn how to use them. I have Meathead and Professor Blonder's book (The Science of Great Barbeque and Grilling) and together with the wealth of knowledge and experience available on this site, I'm looking forward to learning to do amazing things with these wonderful devices... and to making some new friends along the way!

I have really enjoyed both of the new online Happy Hour webinars. Who knows? If I am successful at this learning endeavor, I might go ahead and retire so I can spend my days "grillin' and chillin'."

Cheers!
    Roger
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RogoTBull; June 9, 2020, 04:36 PM.

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas! I cook on a large BGE, too.

Comment

• RogoTBull
      RogoTBull commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, LA Pork Butt. Glad to know I am in good company!

Welcome from Minnesota. Enjoy The Pit.

Comment

• RogoTBull
      RogoTBull commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Skip. I have a cousin that lives in Minneapolis, and another in Colorado Springs. After learning to "endure" winters (and Christmas!) without snow, and Christmas's in shirt-sleeves by the rotisserie, I haven't missed the snow!

Welcome from up the road in Chattanooga

Comment

• RogoTBull
      RogoTBull commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, klflowers. From your avatar picture, it appears you may have a motorhome. My older brother and his wife sold their home after they retired, and spent 20 years "on the road" in their Holiday Rambler motorhome, seeing the good old U.S. of A. They loved every minute of it. My wife and I had a travel trailer when our children were young, and loved traveling with it and seeing new places!

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      RogoTBull that is our plan too. At least if I can get my wife to part with some of her shoe collection lol.

LOL, lump chef! Welcome from Florida. Love the N. GA mountains and I have a PBC, too.

Comment

• RogoTBull
      RogoTBull commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. A "Lump Chef" is also known in slang terms as a "Hockey Puck Chef!"

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

• RogoTBull
      RogoTBull commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I never got to live in Virginia, but my brother did when he was stationed there, so I got to visit. Lovely state. As a history buff, Colonial Williamsburg was one of my favorite places to visit.

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

• RogoTBull
      RogoTBull commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. As I peruse the listings of BBQ equipment that people have, I've about decided "The Pit" refers to a money pit, rather than a BBQ pit. As an amateur "photographer wanna be" I learned what NAS meant (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome) and that it is synonymous with "empty wallet." I'm afraid that based on my fascination with grilling and BBQ gadgets, this will hobby rival my NAS.

Glad there is someone else can "lump Chef" Welcome for the California Delta.

Comment

• RogoTBull
      RogoTBull commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Lump Chef's Unite!

Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

• RogoTBull
      RogoTBull commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Been quite some time since I have been to Massachusetts. The company I used to work for had a corporate headquarters in Westboro. Not far from there (Southboro, perhaps) was an all-you-can-eat lobster place that we always made a trip to when were there for training or meetings. That is something else I look forward to learning to cook!

Welcome from just up the road from you in the mountains of NC. Know exactly where Blairsville is. We are also retired and I do my smoking and cooking on upgraded kettle and a gasser. I do everything from bacon to wribs.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 9, 2020, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• RogoTBull
      RogoTBull commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Easy directions from Bryson City to Blairsville. "Go to Murphy, and hang a left!"

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      You have it!

Welcome from south Texas!

Comment

• RogoTBull
      RogoTBull commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. As one of my colleagues who is from Texas would say... "Hook 'Em, Horns!"

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      Others might say "Gig "em, Aggies!” 🤣(I’m for neither.🙄)

Welcome from Colorado, Roger ...

Comment

• RogoTBull
      RogoTBull commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. The mountains of Colorado are beautiful, and a bit more majestic and awe-inspiring than those here in Georgia. But, we love them just the same. Plus, I don't have to open the altitude adjustment on my PBC quite as far!

Originally posted by RogoTBull View Post
    I am the quintessential "Charcoal Lump Chef." Notice I said, "charcoal lump" and not "lump charcoal." That is because I can take any food, on any cooking device, and turn it in to a dry, hard, and black lump (like charcoal)!
    Hahaha. Welcome from SF.

Comment

• RogoTBull
      RogoTBull commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Another beautiful city. I've visited there a couple of times over the past few years. I always love to cable cars (that go halfway to the stars)... and Fisherman's Wharf!

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
    Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

• RogoTBull
      RogoTBull commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Hopefully, at some point down the road, I will have some knowledge that will actually be worth sharing... rather than just how to grill a hockey puck!

Welcome from South Carolina!

Comment

• RogoTBull
      RogoTBull commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. SC feels like my second home. I was stationed in Charleston, and when I left the military, having to leave the "low country" behind was a real struggle. Fortunately, most of my family still lives there, so I have reason to go back now and then.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here