Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperature control in the land of fog and wind isn't easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature control in the land of fog and wind isn't easy

Hi all,

I have been reading amazingribs.com and Meathead's book for the past two weeks straight since I decided I was going to finally try to up my BBQ game. Yesterday I did my first smoked pulled pork and it came out great (I got say I got a little desperate past hour 11 though).

I leave in California but on the only place that isn't hot and nice: SF. We do have some nice sunny days but there is also cold wind and fog too, learning to control the temperature of my Weber Kettle is being challenging, first 2 dry runs I didn't think I was going to be able to hold the low temperature -- it was either warp 10 or sub 200F.

Welcome from your neighbor to the east on the Delta. Ya, the coldest winters are summer in SF!

Comment

I would put a wind break up so the wind would be less of a problem. Then I would get a Fireboard controller and Pit Viper fan to maintain the temp in your cooler temperature days.

Comment

• fcy
        fcy commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh those are cool! I usually like to learn to do things by hand first, but I can definitely see myself upgrading to those once I learn what is going on.

You can figure it out, just takes practice. There are plenty of us in cold climates smoking all winter.

Comment

Yes - practice and time will help.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ... When I lived in Sacramento, SF always provided some much needed respite from miserable summer heat. Never went there to warm up, though 😎.

Comment

• fcy
            fcy commented
            Editing a comment
            I work down the bay, in summer it is crazy how much difference I get every day: leave home cold and foggy, real summer heat during the day, then back home to SF "summer".

Wind is tough. You might not be in the market to spend money, but as a kettle and WSM owner I strongly recommend a 18.5” WSM and a fan controller. I’ve been able to sleep through some really miserable Pittsburgh winter nights with that combo.

Comment

Grab a six pack and run it without food. Practice locking in t he temp. Keep your charcoal in a dry location......oh yeah and welcome!!!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
              Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

First time I ever went to SF was July '76, we drove there from Davis to see th sights...we were in shorts, light shirts, an it was cold, foggy, mistin, an ~40° Purty miserable day...

Ya'll git th hang, with some practice...wind is definitely more of an enemy than temps...as mentioned above, whole lotta us cook year round.
              Some days are gonna be a fight, but make fer great learnin experiences, an a sense of accomplishment, an pride.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20190113_192709.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	858894

Comment

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

I live in Dallas, and it is also windy. The problem is that it is gusty. It will blow for a whilevand then quiet down. I cook on a BGE and built a wind shield for the bottom vent. A wind shield for your Weber is more complicated, but I think it is the only solution for steady temperatures besides constant monitoring.

Comment

Welcome from TN. Just keep cooking and it will work out. Except for your waistline, that is...

Comment

Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

Welcome from south Texas! Windy and hot here!😏🙄

Comment

Hey, something else you might try is a welding blanket draped over. Don't cut off the air of course, but that will mitigate temp swings.

FYI all, it's not the cold that makes it hard to control temps, it's the variations.

Comment

• fcy
                            fcy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Interesting idea 🤔 (specially because I rent and building something more permanent doesn't sound too appealing)

• rickgregory
                            rickgregory commented
                            Editing a comment
                            some of the folks around here BBQ in the winter in really cold places and gave me the idea.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here