Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie here with a brand new pellet grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RustyHaines
    replied
    Welcome to The Pit from Madison, WI

Leave a comment:

• Duckman_OK
    commented on 's reply
    That's a really good idea. I planned on getting bigger casters/wheels to put on it, but may just grab one of those instead.

• Texas Larry
    replied
    welcome from south Texas!

Leave a comment:

• tenphases
    replied
    Cook a butt and then go to Harbor Freight and buy a cart so it won't be such a pain in the arse to move around. Welcome, and enjoy! (There are cheaper ones than the one pictured)
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    Welcome from Minnesota. I'd suggest pork butt also for a first cook.

Leave a comment:

• Schwyy
    replied
    welcome to the club! my recommendation will be a bit different, i recommend Anything but brisket! too much time and things going on for a first cook.

i did baby backs as i wanted something relatively quick!

good luck, ive had so much fun with my smoker and this site!

Leave a comment:

• holehogg
    replied
    Greetings from South Africa

Leave a comment:

• Duckman_OK
    commented on 's reply
    You know.... That Tailgater is made to be portable. Maybe we could play with it at Momma's house...

• willxfmr
    replied
    Welcome from Wisconsin. Glad you could join us!

I'm going to suggest steaks for your first cook. Smoke them at 225-250 until they are 10 degrees under whatever your desired finish temp is, and then sear them off just like you would after the water bath. The one thing to be careful of is that you want your steaks to be at least 1 1/2 inches thick for this. This article explains the process pretty well. https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...-cook-low-slow

I too used to exclusively sous vide my steaks, but ever since I gave the reverse sear a try, the water bath only gets used if I have more steak to do than will fit on my smoker. My S.O. likes them so much that it is the one thing I make that I am forbidden to tinker with.

Leave a comment:

• Duckman_OK
    replied
    Thanks Guys!!! Sounds like I'm gonna start with a Pork Butt!

Leave a comment:

• ofelles
    replied
    Welcome from the California Delta. I'm going to jump on the butt wagon. Easy and forgiving.

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    replied
    Welcome from Colorado ... and I’d suggest pork ribs (specifically "Last Meal Ribs" from the free side of AmazingRibs.com).

Leave a comment:

• BFlynn
    replied
    Pork butt is a great first cook

Just be sure to practice those ribs before your brother visits.

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    replied
    Welcome from Maryland. I always suggest a pork butt as a first cook. Easy to cook but takes long enough so you get to know your cooker well. I like to cook them at 275.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Welcome to The Pit. I suggest you start with either a pork butt or a chuck roast. They are cooked the same way and both are very forgiving. Recipes for both are on the free side. With either one you should dry brine over night if possible using 1/2 tsp kosher salt per lb of meat.
    Last edited by RonB; June 4, 2020, 08:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here