Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Southern California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Southern California

I don't really know what to say except hello fellow meat lovers.

The funny thing is, as much as I love meat, I don't eat it all the time and I've had people ask me if I'm a vegetarian. I'm not. I love meat. I just don't need to eat it with every meal and love a lot of vegetarian dishes too. But when I want meat, I want to do it right, which is why I'm here.

I love grilling steak. I love smoking ribs for my family and friends. Recently, I've graduated to smoking pork shoulder and for Memorial Day yesterday I smoked pork shoulder and lamb shoulder. Both turned out great, thanks to the help of this site.

Here's a picture from mid-May when I smoked some ribs for some friends at the beach:

Welcome to the Pit mogabi

Comment

Welcome, Mogabi. I'm in Studio City. Be sure to check out fellow member eugenek the next time he takes his beef ribs to one of the local farmers markets. Great stuff.

Comment

Thanks Jordan. I'm in San Gabriel and I'll keep an eye out for eugenek.

Comment

​Welcome to The Pit mogabi! Love your avatar pic.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Thanks Huskee. I got my signature taken care of. As far as my cooking history, I guess you could say it's been trial-and-error over the course of my adult life. The more time passes, the more I enjoy it and it's satisfying to make food people enjoy. I like to cook because it's an endless adventure. I enjoy the simplicity of frying an egg, the complexity of making tamales from scratch, and everything in between.

Growing up, my dad grilled quite a bit and when I started my family getting a grill was an obvious decision to make. Over the years, I've tried to get better with technique and find the recipes I enjoyed the most. This eventually landed me here.

My favorite food to BBQ at the moment is baby back ribs. I don't really have a plan for what I'd like to master. Thus far, aside from smoking baby back ribs, I've also smoked a few pork shoulders, a lamb shoulder, and a turkey for Thanksgiving. I still feel like a smoking noob and it's fun to learn.

It's funny to me how mysterious cooking is to some people. When I make something that turns out well and people are impressed, it's hard for me to take much credit because 90% of the time I'm just following directions and exercising a little common sense. It's not like I'm reinventing the wheel. Mostly, I'm just doing what someone else figured out tastes good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here