Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a new smoker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new smoker!

Hi all! I got the smokin' bug when I tasted my neighbor's pulled pork - amazing! I bought a Char-Griller with the firebox on the side and I ran into every frustration that this web sight talks about. For every good meal was another chunck of meat that was not done and wasted. Thinking of going with the Ugly Barrel, but does using charcoal really do a good job with the smoke taste? I have a nice selection of apple and hickory wood from our local lumber store (the woods behind me) and I feel that the wood really needs to be in the mix. Can you just throw some chuncks of wood onto the briquets? Anyone using the ugly barrel? Advice welcome.

Welcome to the Pit Mike

Comment

Originally posted by smokin' Mike View Post
      Can you just throw some chuncks of wood onto the briquets? Anyone using the ugly barrel? Advice welcome.
      That's the only way I ever used my side box.

Welcome aboard.

Comment

Welcome, barrels are a great place to start, many many of us have a Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC). They are low cost, put out awesome food, and are great to learn on.

Comment

I would use the buyers guide. A great resource to use. Can filter many different ways. Has reviews of over 500 different platforms

Comment

Been fastidiously studying it FLBuckey. Thanks for all the responses. I'll let you know what I decide, but I thing the barrel is in first place right now!

Comment

​Welcome to The Pit smokin' Mike! Thanks for your support. The PBC is a great place to start. For a similar price point or a tad less, you could also consider a Weber kettle with a soon-to-be-released "Slow 'N Sear", a device that creates two zones in the kettle, 8+hrs low & slow smoking on one chimney full of charcoal, and a dandy place to place your apple and hickory chunks, and allows great searing of steaks too.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Well, Thanksgiving has forced the issue and I've just placed my order through the link on this site for my PBC. I'll be giving thanks this year over smoked turkey thanks to AmazingRibs.com!!! YYEEEEEEHHAAAAW!

Comment

Congrats Mike. I'm looking forward to you pics and updates on the new rig!

Comment

Awesome, you will be happy with your choice.

Comment

Yay, Mike! The PBC rocks. Click image for larger version

Name:	smiles-pom1.gif
Views:	85
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	120933

Kathryn (who is smoking beef back ribs in her PBC as this is being typed...)

Comment

Hello Mike.

Charcoal smokers have very little airflow. A little wood goes a long way. I recommend going minimalist on the wood as you experiment with your new cooker. Better too little smoke than too much smoke.

Comment

Congrats smokin' Mike! Here's to many great meals!

Comment

I love my PBC and hope you get many years of enjoyment out of yours smokin' Mike .

Comment

Good choice on the PBC. I LOVE mine. Be sure to hit the PBC subforum located in the charcoal cooker section!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here