Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to expand my repertoire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to expand my repertoire

Hey folks! Glad to be joining the group instead of occasionally lurking. Just purchased my first real smoker (Meadow Creek BX50 stainless). It's a bit of a step up from the $70 brinkman I learned on =P.

Anyway I'm a spare ribs kind of guy first and foremost but I'd definitely like to try out brisket, shoulders and a turkey or two over the holidays.

I'm interested to hear from any other MC vertical box smoker owners for any advice. I'm on the fence about getting a guru just yet...figure I want a few cooks under my belt and learn to dial in my temps manually first. I won't mind standing in from of my new beast with a few Sierra Nevada's in hand for hours at a time with a big-ass grin on my face.

Also looking to meet some other BBQ minded folk in the not exactly known for BBQ culture area around Philly /NJ. Curious about any great meat suppliers in the area (I love John's butcher shop in Glenside PA for my steaks). Anyone have any recommendations on the NJ side? I just moved from Bucks county to Mercer and am curious what's out there besides Costco & Sam's Club. Especially where I might be able to land more than a single 3 pack of baby backs during the pandemic.

Other than BBQ, I'm a guitar head. I like loud rock music from the 60s thru 2000s. I build guitar amplifiers on occasion too. When I'm not grilling, cooking indoors or playing my music too loud, I earn a paycheck as a cardiac RN.

Hope to meet some cool people here and learn from others with much more experience than myself. I'll be happy to pass along whatever I can learn about my BX50 smoker and if any of you want to talk baby backs, I'm always willing to pass along my "sweet & heat" technique/recipe.
    Attached Files

Hey welcome! If you join the KCBS you can get unlimited day passes to restaurant depot. You can buy meat in large quantities for pretty good prices there.
    Last edited by tenphases; May 23, 2020, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Do they have locations below Princeton? I'm a lot closer to Philly/Trenton.

Comment

• tenphases
        tenphases commented
        Editing a comment
        Your good to go, I saw 3 in your area

1070 Thomas Busch Memorial Hwy, Pennsauken Township, NJ 08110

700 Pattison Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19148

2950 Roberts Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19129

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
      Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Glad to have ya here!

They's a few folks, round here, what pick some, as well...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

You are in the right place to learn for sure. You might want to try smoking a chuck roast before you tackle a brisket. It's a much easier cook.

And we have a number of guitar heads here including one who is also a nurse. Calling Huskee !

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you and all that jazz.

Oh Yeah, your gonna fit right in without missing a beat. The eating is good and the learning is often.
          Welcome.

(BTW Restaurant Depit is open to the public right now, or was?)

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from the California Delta. Nice new cooker! Learning to use it manually first is the way I am choosing to go with my LSG unit. Not too difficult so far. We can travel together.

Comment

Welcome from the mountains of NC. Nice pretty new toy.

Comment

Welcome from south Texas! Glad you’re here!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Welcome aboard! I’m in the Pacific Northwest, so can’t be much help with local meat suppliers. Except one tip: Costco is actually a great source for meat, especially stuff for low n slow .... I buy brisket, pork shoulders, and ribs there. I am friends with one of their meat buyers. He’s the guy that sourced all the stuff for their ribs. He gave me some good insight into that program and it’s really quality.

As far as cooking brisket, pork shoulder, etc .... Meathead’s recipes on the public side are outstanding, can’t go wrong with them. On the Pitmaster side, a bunch of us have write ups on those things and there is some really great content. Give it a search or ask questions and we can point you to good resources!

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here