Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member - No St. Louis Ribs: Any advice on Spare Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member - No St. Louis Ribs: Any advice on Spare Ribs

I'm a new member and am an OK smoking guy. With COVID I can't fine St. Louis ribs and have a birthday party for my girl. I have baby-backs and spare ribs. I'm good with the baby backs but would love advice on a rack of spare ribs that I bought at Costco.

I have a Weber rig with a smoke&sear for the baby backs. I have a Pit Barrel that I am planning for the spare ribs. Any thoughts on the Pit Barrel spare ribs?

Cut the spares down to STL style. Plenty of videos out there to guide you. Real easy.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      + 1 and welcome to the Pit from Dallas!

Welcome from Maryland. We have a lot of PBC owners here that will soon answer all your questions about the ribs.

Going to add that Porter Road is showing ribs available right now. They will probably be gone soon. Good luck
    Last edited by Donw; May 22, 2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Easy to do, watch the videos, ribs are wonderful on the PBC just double hook em

Comment

It's really easy to trim your own St. Louis ribs. You will likely end up with a better result than what passes for SLC in the stores. The only way you can go wrong is to leave too much of the rib tips attached (no biggie), and you can just use the bones as a guide.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
          Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

I never buy St Louie wibs. Buy spares all the time & cut em myself. More bang for the buck & cheaper.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              More bang, cheaper ... .and you get rib tips! Although Costco’s precut STL’s are pretty damn good

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, Hail Yeah!
              Loves me some spares, Brothers!!!!

What do you guys do with the rib tips when you trim the spares down to St. Louis cut? I have 2 racks of spares in the freezer that I nabbed as the last ribs at Sam’s before the meat started disappearing.

In the past I always smoked the spares as packaged after removing the membrane and maybe cutting off the flap on the back.
            Last edited by jfmorris; May 22, 2020, 08:15 PM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Good throw into a Mac and cheese if you have enough of em... nice extra flavor booster for chili or a stew if you’ve smoked em, too.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Excellent points, Brother! Potkettleblack
              Ahm'a try th mac n cheese one, jus made some rib chili two weeks back, it was. Dang good stuff!

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              It do be a fact that ribs do make amazing chili.

I smoke them up as an appetizer. They are done way before the racks and are a great nibble while you are waiting for the racks to be done. .

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I agree trim them yourself and eat the tips as the cook's treat.

Comment

Like has been said, the trimmings from spare ribs to St. Louis Ribs become rib tips. I usually cook the spares as is real often. May not be as pretty but very tasty

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg.

Comment

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here