Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi all, Pacific Northwesterner here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, Pacific Northwesterner here

I am transplanted here from Missouri. People don't usually equate the PNW with BBQ, but my roots run deep from the midwest. I've been BBQ'ing for a few years and am always looking for ways to step up my game. I have a stick burner, reverse flow smoker, and a stick burning/charcoal Santa Maria-style grill, both made by Arizona BBQ Outfitters out of Tuscon, Arizona. Owned and operated by Army National Guard helo pilot. My long-suffering wife put up with me building an outdoor kitchen over the past few years. It is my goto place for hanging out and seeing what culinary mischief I can get into. I am looking forward to what I can learn from this site.
    Attached Files

I'll be right over.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Take me with you, please.

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas! You have an impressive setup!

Comment

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
      I'll be right over.
      Another Washingtonian. Nice. Beer is in the fridge, help yourself. Grab me one while you're over there if you don't mind.

Comment

Welcome from Portland, Oregon!

That is an amazing set up you got 😱

Comment

• John S
          John S commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you sir.

Awesome setup! I'm building an outdoor kitchen as well, but I'm not putting up anything that could complete with that pizza oven! I am a stick burner too along with a few other grills and smokers. Whereabouts in the PNW are you?

There are a number of us on the board. The standard bearers from our region are ecowper and Attjack but I've learned a lot from everyone here. If you are into pizza, Dr. Pepper has an awesome cooker and has done some really cool stuff too.

What time is dinner?
        Last edited by PBCDad; May 21, 2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• John S
          John S commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm from the east side. Monroe to be specific. Thank you for the kind words. Really glad to hear about the fellow members here from our area. Sourcing wood here other than the fruitwoods is difficult. What do you all do?

• PBCDad
          PBCDad commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey cool, I live about 10-15 minutes away! My daughter goes (went) to school in Monroe.
          For wood I keep an eye on Craigslist any time I'm running low. There's a lot of maple to be had though I don't really like the smell of the kind I picked up. Lot of alder as well. Occasionally there will be cherry or apple. I've had great luck with cherry though, probably the best smoking wood I've tried so far. I got some oak from a friend, I think it needs to dry out a bit more.

• John S
          John S commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, we'll have to do a meat up some time then. Oak is hard to find around here. I've got a cord and a half of apple, a cord of peach, 1/2 cord of cherry and a cord and a half of Maple. The fruitwood I picked up from a supplier over near Yakima who drys his stuff for 2 years. I took down a maple a couple of years ago and it is a hot, long-burning wood. Food tasted great but you have to keep an eye of creosote build up with it.

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
        Welcome to the Pit from Dallas! You have an impressive setup!
        Thank you sir. Looking forward to learning from the knowledgable folks here, like yourself.

Comment

With the cookin apparati that ya have, well, ya can have us over any time. Welcome, eat good and have fun!

Comment

Welcome John S ..... that is quite a nice setup. I’m from the south part of the east side, Maple Valley area. I run charcoal setups, so not much help on the wood front. That said, I think there must be a few wood suppliers for stuff other than fruit. There’s some restaurants running wood fire rather than gas. Red Dog Saloon down here has a huge woodpile out back, for example.

Comment

• John S
              John S commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you sir. I have found a supplier of post oak, mesquite, etc but they have a minimum 2 cord order and they are at 750 a cord. That is a little too steep for my blood. They say they deliver to several restaurants around the Seattle area, maybe Red Dog is one of them, I don't know. I did find a great supplier of fruitwoods, apple, peach, cherry, plum, etc., from over near Yakima that delivers to a lot of pizza joints. Generous, dry cords at an acceptable price.

Welcome to The Pit John. Lovely play area you have there.

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta. Envy!

Comment

Welcome to the pit, from another Washingtonian. Great outdoor setup you have!

Comment

• John S
                  John S commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Cat. Everett isn't very far. Nice to see another local on here.

Welcome from Western Massachusetts. Meathead let's have a Meat-Up at John S. 🥩🥩🥩🍺🍹🍸🍷😃

Comment

• John S
                  John S commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've got the beer, whiskey and the wood, let's make it happen.

• Meathead
                  Meathead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How much whiskey kills coronavirus?

• PBCDad
                  PBCDad commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Meathead sounds like a question worth researching

Hello from Spokane! Always good to have more people here from the PNW.

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. I like your outdoor kitchen and patio. Very Nice!

Comment

• John S
                    John S commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Skip.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here