Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member - Thermopen MK4 vs Thermopen IR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome from sunny SoCal.

For ME it would be a hard pass on the combo...
    First off, it’s only rated IP54 vs the IP66/67 of the Mk4...so it’s only splash resistant. Most thermometers are probably killed when being cleaned.

Second, its upper limit is only 661.8° (349.9° C). So one wouldn’t know if their pizza stone had crept up to 800+ or what temp their sear station was at.
    The "cheap" IR-GUN-S will read up to 1022° (550° C) so it would cover any temp one is likely to encounter when cooking.
    The "High Temp" gun reads all the way up to 1400° (760° C).

Finally, there’s the range.
    The combo is 5:1, meaning that at 5” it reads a 1” target area. Not great.
    The IR-GUN-S is 12:1, so at 12” it’s reading a 1” target.
    The High Temp gun though reads at 30:1.

I have the IR-GUN-S because getting within a foot of my target isn’t generally a problem, and I’m really looking for a rough temp range rather than it needing to be deadly accurate. In the range I use it for it can be off by 4° or +/- 2%. (Which ever is greater.) Close enough for a pizza stone or griddle. It’s also significantly less than the High Temp gun. Though if doing it again, I would probably opt for the IRK-2 with its circular laser or splurge and get the High Temp.
    Last edited by surfdog; May 17, 2020, 08:51 AM. Reason: corrected temps

Comment

• Ryan D
      Ryan D commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks surfdog. This is a really nice breakdown on the product specs. I think the group overwhelmingly agrees. It is interesting to hear how everyone uses the IR thermometers.

Welcome from Western Massachusetts. I have the MK4 and ETEKCITY IR gun. Both used on a regular basis for different applications. MK for IT protein, IR say check temp of GrillGrates or CI pan. So my vote is seperate.

Comment

Welcome from TN. I have the MK4 and the infrared - I use both regularly. Since I don't do pizza yet, I only use the infrared on the griddle when I am cooking on the outdoor stove.

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from Madison, WI

Comment

Welcome to the forums!

Comment

I’d get the thermapen and separate IR tool. That is what I did actually. I think I got the pen first then the high range IR thermometer later.

I went with the high temperature IR-IND model, reads to 1400F and 30:1 optics. The laser is a circle so you can easily see exactly what it is averaging from any distance.

I use my IR thermometer a lot. I check my life support (air conditioning) at least weekly if not more. If I notice the outflow air isn’t as cold as it should be I can check my system immediately. Maybe it’s the air filter (usually is), but if it is a bigger problem better to know sooner rather than at 2 AM when the central AC gives up. I use it to check for window leaks. Before messing with the car engine. Before setting stuff down on the glass top stove. It is VERY useful.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!
                Cheers from Norway

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here