Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for my next level smoker and would love feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for my next level smoker and would love feedback

Hi all,
    Long time follower of the site, trial member that will most definitely convert to paid member.
    I am a CEC and small diner owner. Ive worked in 4 countries and several major cities across the USA and Ive only ever worked in the restaurant industry. No fancy school for me. Been a dishwasher, Butcher, Saucier, Executive Chef and Owner. I know a lot about cooking so it was going to be a breeze to become a Pit Master....or so I thought. BBQ kicked me right in the onions more times than I can count but Im out the other side and better for it.

Have used a cheap offset, built my own offset out of a 50 gallon drum, and an UDS. Im ready to graduate. Ive read every review on this site but am looking for more recommendations from y'alls experience since Im willing to part with what is a decent amount of money to me.

Am looking for backyard offset or reverse flow, hardwood lump charcoal and small logs for fuel, 800-1000sqinch cooking surface. Was looking to spend up to 750$ but seems theres nothing in that range. its either 500$ or over 1000$. I could go over budget for the right smoker that I could get 5+ years out of. I live in the northeast so used smokers are thin pickings. Right now Im leaning towards the Oklahoma Joe Longhorn as I can make the suggested modifications to it to get the most out of it so any knowledge on that or similar models would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long read just wanted to give some background on me because from what Ive read in these forums it seems like a nice community and I wanted to also introduce myself while I ask for free advice. You don't need to do a big review on your suggestions as I am mainly looking for smokers fitting my description that maybe I haven't heard of to research on my own. MADE IN USA SMOKERS ONLY please. Thanks!
    Last edited by Taso33; May 16, 2020, 01:47 PM.

You say you are looking for a backyard smoker. Will you be using it at home or at your restaurant? If you are using the Oklahoma Joe as a commercial smoker I am not sure it would last 5 years. I will let others give you ideas that may best suit your needs.

Comment

• Taso33
      Taso33 commented
      Editing a comment
      Home use maybe a couple times a week and under 12 hour cooks. I want a larger cooking surface to maybe do some light catering for friends but that would be it. Thanks for the reply!

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
    Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

I've had an OKJ Highland, fer nearly 4 years, bought it used, so it's likely 5-6 years old, or more, an still fine. It's kept care of, an covered.
    I've always been very pleased with it, an have vociferously made that clear to many others.

It can produce great food, in capable hands.

Looks like th Longhorn is $449 + $150 ship, over to Amazon. Might even be better deals to be found locally, save th shippin. At that price, I wouldn't balk a bit at givin it a try.

I'd recommend springin fer th Lavalock Baffle / Tunin plate. Equally wouldn't go to alla th trouble to gasket up alla th doors, etc. It'll jus burn off, given time, an I see no real difference in how th cooker runs without em. Reckon I'd buy ya a cover, as well.

I have other, much nicer, heavier, more expensive cookers as comparison. If I may be of any further assistance, feel free to gimme a holler.

Reckon that's a good ¢2 worth, to start with, though.
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 16, 2020, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      What Bones said is truth... in the right hands, with proper care, and some minor mods... you can get mileage out of these.

• Taso33
      Taso33 commented
      Editing a comment
      Many thanks my friend! That's the best 2 cents ive ever spent!! Ill look up the Lavalock and get back to you with some more questions and maybe hear about those other cookers you got in your arsenal. Im old school when it comes to my equipment. Got time to lean got time to clean! Thanks again!

First up welcome from Indiana.

I want to preface this by saying that I completely get where you are coming from and was in the exact same dilemma some years back. It sucks with everyone telling you just wait until you can afford something nicer when you are wanting it now and knowing it could take another year or two to save what you need to in order to really make the next level jump which is really $1500... a lot more options at that price point.

That being said I am not a fan of debt so I say this reluctantly but there are some companies out there with payment plans... maybe this helps get you into the $1500 range.

Not knowing how much over you are willing to go per your post but here are a couple of options.

The Good One is an interesting design and is going to be a good build quality... it can also serves double duty as grill and smoker. $1179 with free shipping (I think).
    Create superbly smoked foods that are moist, juicy, and succulent on the third generation The Good-One Open Range Freestanding Smoker and Grill. This smoker and grill combo has a dedicated firebox below and in-front of the smoke chamber that can be affixed with a grill grate for direct, high-temp grilling. The position of the smoke chamber above and behind the firebox creates a uniform temperature across the chamber preventing hotspots. The internal damper spans the entire width of the smoker allowing control of how much smoke you want inside the chamber. The external twist-style air intakes allow for simple and easy temperature control inside the smoker. The grill grate with 332 square inches of grilling area and 2 smoke chamber grates with 664 square inches of cooking area are constructed of expanded steel. The firebox also houses a removable drop-in ash pan and charcoal grate. The smoker lid is made of 11 gauge US steel and is reversible on its bolt hinge to suit whichever side of the smoker you prefer to cook on. The smoker box has a locking mechanism that prevents unwanted tampering or heat and smoke loss while cooking. The smoker is constructed of powder coated steel providing durability and a sleek finish. Also, included with this smoker is a grease bucket, heavy duty pneumatic wheels, and an owners manual.

Also the Lang 36 Patio Original is another great option and more of the traditional offset and built like a tank. It starts at $1295 plus shipping.

Both of those have financing options as well. However they may not have the real estate in the grates you are looking for.

That being said... the OK Joes aren’t bad smokers but you are going to need to Mod them and they are probably going to need a bit more tending and babysitting than the others... But don’t be discouraged if this is what you end up getting. Lots of folks have them and turn out excellent Q on them. Invite me over and I will eat food that you cooked on any of these.

Comment

• Taso33
      Taso33 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was born in FT. Wayne! I guess Im on the right track because Ive looked at both those smokers and was actually referencing them in the over $1000 category. Money is definitely important as the quarantine is taking a toll on business but it is also allowing me the time to do this and get some serious cook time in. I will not rule these options out.
      Thanks man!

Welcome frome the California Delta. Some gud advise above.

Comment

• Taso33
      Taso33 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! Glad to meet ya

I suggest you look at Lone Star Grillz. Awesome offsets that are pretty reasonable priced for what you get. Will last you forever.

Addendum: I have an offset that is practically identical to the OKJ Highland. I have done a few mods to it and it makes good food. That said, it's leaps and bounds away from a heavy gauge offset as far as temp control and fuel usage among other things. I would trade up to a LSG in a minute if I could afford it.
    Last edited by Dewesq55; May 16, 2020, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• Taso33
      Taso33 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply! I have never heard of them and looked them up online. Man those are some sexy cookers but definitely out side my comfort zone price wise but it was fun to dream for a minute!

Welcome from Maryland.

I know they are out of your price range but keep the Yoders, LSGs and the rest in your mind and look for used ones online. They do pop-up occasionally and we all love it when a member scores one. Most of the really good ones are going to last a lifetime so used isn’t a bad thing usually. Unfortunately we may see even more pop up soon as casualties of the current situation.

Comment

• Taso33
      Taso33 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks and happy to be here! I'm definitely far from living in place where a lot of used smokers are for sale. I went on Criags list and FB market place and there were a total of 4 for sale but ill keep looking as that's sound advice. I would hate to score a top line smoker as a result of someone's hardship but it would be going to a loving home for sure. Thanks again for the reply!

I don't recommend smokers, not smart enough, but I would suggest if your not in a hurry scan Craigslist daily and be ready to pounce on a good deal.
    I watch Kijiji here constantly for deals

Comment

• Taso33
      Taso33 commented
      Editing a comment
      I will keep checking as I did not consider that option. Luckily we have some smart people here to help us along! Thanks for the reply!

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

• Taso33
      Taso33 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you and nice to meet ya!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here