Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Vancouver, WA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Vancouver, WA

I have a Weber 22" kettle which I have been using almost exclusively for grilling. I did purchase the Smokenator and have have been using that to try and actually do some bbqing. So far I have not had too much success although it is at least tending more towards being bbq'd as opposed to being grilled. My biggest issue is temperature control or at least I think it is. I do not have a smoker but hope to get the Char-Griller Akorn komada within the next month or two. I know it is not the best but it is all that I am able to get at this time. Hopefully with the information I can glean from the Pit, I will have a lot more success in the future
    Attached Files

Greetings from South Africa Sir.

Comment

• joeeless
      joeeless commented
      Editing a comment
      Howzit holehogg. Now this is quite
      a coincidence. I am originally from Jo'burg and came to the USA going on 60 years ago.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I grew up in JHB (Orange Grove in the North) and moved to PE in '88. You will soon have all things BBQ under control of you hang around here. I have learnt so much from the wonderful knowledgeable people of the Pit.

Welcome from Portland!

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas! Follow this like to learn how to use the Snake Method for doing low and slow BBQ. https://youtu.be/XiGRbyg_zeI

Comment

• joeeless
            joeeless commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for the link LA Pork Butt. It looks pretty easy and I definitely will try that method.

Welcome from TN. I spent some time in Olympia in my youth, beautiful part of the country. Look into adding a slow n sear to that kettle, make it into a smoking machine.

SnS Grills is the leading provider of high-quality BBQ charcoal inserts and grills. Our inserts and grills are perfect for backyard barbecues, camping trips, tailgating or any outdoor adventure. From beginner to championship BBQ-ing we have a solution for your small batch smoking and grilling needs. We help you BBQ!

Comment

Welcome from south Texas!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
              Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Ya can make some mighty fine BBQ on a Weber kettle, jus takes a lil practice, refinement of technique...ya got this, amigo!
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 15, 2020, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Welcome from the mountains of NC. The Smokenator can make great BBQ, It is fickle on vent settings. I use wood chunks that last about an hour and stir the coals and add a new one when the first one doesn't smoke any more. I have found that must keep a diary of your cooks so that you can keep track of conditions and build up a data base to set up your cooks based on prior knowledge. As for setting the vents I have found that setting the top vent to 1/4 and then using the bottom vent to control temp works best. Good luck!
                '

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Joe. You don't need the kamado to smoke. Get a Slow N Sear and you can smoke on your Kettle. There is a small learning curve, but not hard at all. And the manufacturer has some great videos on how to use it on the site:

https://snsgrills.com/collections/sl...ts/slow-n-sear (currently on back order - but check out the videos anyway)

I had a Smokenator and the SnS is much easier to use.
                  Last edited by RonB; May 15, 2020, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you. Listen to holehogg He is a superstar!

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. Enjoy The Pit.

Comment

• joeeless
                            joeeless commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thank you all for the welcomes and suggestions. After reading about the snake method and Slow N Sear, I decided to 'splurge' and ordered the SNS and am now anxiously waiting for it to arrive. Until it does, I am going to try to use the snake method . I have been spending the last few days just reading suggestions, recommendations and recipes and I think I have already learned more about smoking in these few days than I have ever learned before.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here