Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoker / Grill v. Grill & Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greygoose
    replied
    Welcome to the Pit
    Have walked a few miles in ur shoes
    Teaching the youngins how to grill,bbq and cook is great entertainment and engages them with fun stuff to learn
    A Weber 22” kettle and maybe a Pit Barrel cooker would give you some good options

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    replied
    Welcome to the pit! I don't have anything to add - these posts have covered everything.

Leave a comment:

• Dadof3Illinois
    replied
    In your situation I recommend a Weber Kettle. A 26” if you can find one but the 22’s are awesome too. A kettle is one of the most versatile cookers on the market for the money.

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    replied
    Also, I missed the recommendation for the Masterbuilt Gravity series, after reading Huskee's review it's definitely worth strong consideration. It looks like it has some serious potential. If I wasn't a little overboard in the cooker department already, I'd probably be dying to try one out.

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    replied
    If convenience is your driving force, a Woodwind with a SearBox or Sidekick would be a great option. Pellet grills are great for low and slow, but mediocre at best for high heat grilling in general. This is because they are designed to be indirect heat. The Weber SmokeFire redefines this, but it still has some quirks being worked through by the user base and Weber. I love burgers on the pellet grill, but they take 30-40 minutes usually versus the 10-20 they would take on a gasser/charcoal grill. You should probably read Max's review of the SmokeFire and see if maybe it's what you are after though: Weber SmokeFire EX4 and EX6 Wood Fired Pellet Grill Review.

If you go Traeger and searing a steak is something you desire, you will likely end up supplementing it with a Kettle or Gasser. I've reverse seared many a steak by cooking to 115 internal temp on a 180-225 pellet grill then tossing it on the gasser to sear. The Woodwind w/Searbox just gets you this combo in a smaller footprint.

I see you are trying to get this quickly:
    Traeger available everywhere
    Weber SmokeFire should be around if you have a Lowes close as well as other places
    CampChef Woodwind is available at some SportingGoods stores, they have a dealer locator on their site to see if anyone close to you carries it, I had to order mine from an online retailer

I've had 4 Traegers, a lot of people bash them, but they are decent pellet grills with the exception of the cabinet model Costco offers. The new D2 models produce less smoke flavor than the older dial controller models from my experience. The Costco model doesn't produce any noticeable smoke flavor do the the airflow restrictions in it's design. If you don't really feel you require WiFi, you might be happier with the food results from a dial controller Pro model.

...and Welcome to the Pit!
    Last edited by glitchy; May 15, 2020, 07:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Steve R.
    replied
    Welcome to the Pit! I currently use a Weber 26" kettle and a Weber Ranch kettle for grilling and smoking, and love them both. But if I was starting from scratch, I would be all over the Masterbuilt Gravity Series, as mentioned above. Whatever you choose will only be the start, so there is really no wrong answer here.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    If you want something for the weekend, a Weber Performer would be a great place to start. You could then order the SnS and the Vortex when you feel like branching out from the basics. The Performer is nice for its gas-assist charcoal lighting feature and the attached table, handy features to have. When you do get the SnS accessory for it, you'll be set for low and slow cooking that delivers awesome flavor and smoke profile. And finally for not much money you can add a Vortex and do some delicious crispy chicken wings.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    Welcome from Virginia! Gotta agree with everyone else here on the kettle. If you are looking for something that is more set and forget the Masterbuilt Gravity Feed has great reviews

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    So, pellet grills tend to not sear that well from what I understand. Smoke profile is lighter... but they're set and forget.

I have a 22" weber and bought the Slow N Sear (SNS) for it and I can dial in 250 pretty easily. Mostly I crank the bottom vents to about 1/4 open and top to about 1/2. YOu'll need tp play a bit but once you get it dialed in, its pretty stable.

The key, which I learned here, is to start with a few coals, get them fully lit, THEN pour in the rest, put wood on and cover and let it come to temp for 15 or so.

Either will really get you good results.

Leave a comment:

• Jared49
    replied
    Lots of good advice so far. Here’s my 2 cents, get a Weber Performance & a18.5” WSM. Now you have all your bases covered and down the road you can start adding all the extras you need/want.

Leave a comment:

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    I strongly believe a Weber kettle with a SnS and a Fireboard and Pit Boss fan would be the best of all worlds. The kettle will let you grill a bunch of burgers and dogs or chicken. With the SnS and Pit Boss you can maintain any temperature you w'ant from 200-500. I believe that is the limit on the Fireboard cables I would have to look to double check.

I smoke everything with that set up. Let's just mention a few, bacon, chicken, all parts, fish, turkey, breast and whole up to about 18lbs., all pork cuts, lamb and to many beef cuts to mention, rib eye steaks and brisket being the two favorites, chuck substituting for brisket at times. Grilling steaks, hamburgers, fish, hot dogs, sausage, use your imagination.

If you want a table and your budget allows look at the Performer series.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; May 14, 2020, 10:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
    Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Nuthin I can add to improve on th above, previous stated. Git a kettle, an SnS, start from there. It'll save ya beauceau hunnert bucks, chasin a flavour yer jus not gonna git with a pellet cooker.

Takes a lil bit more time, personal involvement, but th results are tastier...

Leave a comment:

• Jfrosty27
    replied
    I recommend a pellet grill. Treager, Grills, Rec Tec, many other choices. Depends on your willingness to wait for delivery. Treager is available for pick up just about any city in USA. Set and forget. Easy peasy.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    Yup with the kettle & SnS. With wee ones burgers & dogs will probably be the fav. The smoke will be for you & you will do just fine with the SnS. Plus, you will be able to nail a steak fer yerself & maybe a friend with the sear you can get with the SnS. Kettle is the most versatile unit & best for grillin.

Plus, after further review, no cords, electricity, graphs, computer read outs. Simplicity, Fire & grub. You want to complicate things you can, up to you.
    Last edited by FireMan; May 15, 2020, 09:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Welcome to The Pit Rick.Yes, a pellet grill will do what you want, but a regular ole Weber kettle will also do it and grillin' will be better on a Kettle IMHO. A Kettle with a Slow N Sear works great for smoking and is almost set and forget. And you can get around 8 hours from a loaded SnS in the Kettle. You can get the Kettle, SnS, charcoal chimney, and a leave in thermometer for well under $500. And there are a ton of accessories available for the Kettle for when you feel like expanding your menus.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here