Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy from Chicago Burbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy from Chicago Burbs

Hi guys. I'm not even currently in possession of a smoker as I'm waiting on Mak to manufacture my 1-star. Last time I owned a smoker was about 15 years ago, and it was a crappy little electric one. So I figured if I was going to get back into smoking, I'd do it right and buy the best smoker I could get within my budget.

I hope to be able to pick everyone's brains to help me get better and better at cooks, as there definitely seems to be an art to making delicious smoked animal flesh. Amazing Ribs has been a great place for educating myself, and I hope joining the Pitmaster club can help even more

A Mak, holy smokes way to go!!!!!!

Welcome and thanks for the support.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Pappy

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Brother. Good to see some more upper midwest folk in here.

Comment

​Welcome to The Pit PappyFatcap! Nice choice for getting back into smoking. I guess that applies to the Mak and The Pitmaster Club! We'll all be waiting for some bragging pics when that shiny new toy arrives!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Great username, welcome.

Comment

Getting my Mak delivered tomorrow!! (5-29) I feel like it's Christmas eve!

Going into work at 2am tomorrow so I can leave at 10am and sit on my lawn, staring at my watch, waiting for the freight truck to arrive with my new toy.

Thanks to this site for everything I've learned already.
              Last edited by PappyFatcap; May 28, 2015, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Dude do I know that feeling. I had the day off when my Yoder was delivered. I was pacing looking out the window every 30 seconds hoping I didn't miss it. I think I must've thought if the driver didn't see my face looking out the window for him he'd just roll on by and deliver it to someone in the next town... My driver called me when he was 30 min out or so, so that was a huge relief. I still paced though.

Great choice Pappy! You are just getting started!!

Comment

Welcome Pappy! We're glad you're here. You're going to like your Mak (I have a 2 star). Make sure to set aside a couple of hours for assembly (though it'll go quicker if you're good at that kind of thing).

Biggest lessons I learned on a pellet smoker are: Keep your pellets dry (airtight container). Keep your pellets fresh (don't wait 6 months to use them). Don't leave them in the hopper after you're done cooking (they'll soak up humidity in the air).

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ...and pre-warm your pellet cooker with a half chimney of charcoal?

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL. Actually... Some folks do pre-warm their pellet cookers. And it does help!

Well, the Mak is in my possession and assembled. I had to race mother nature because there were storm clouds rolling in and I wasn't sure if I was going to get it done in time. All by myself it only took about 90 minutes to get it assembled. Very easy and straightforward assembly. What a gorgeous piece of equipment this thing is. I've owned cars that were built with less care. Incredible build quality.

After the storms passed, I got a high temp burn in for almost 45 minutes. Saturday will be a seasoning by making some pig candy, and Sunday at 3am will be my first real attempt..... starting with a shoulder. Headed to Savory Spice Shop for my ingredients for Meathead's Memphis Dust in the morning.

Let's hope mother nature cooperates, as there is a chance for more storms Saturday. Can I just cook in my garage with the door open if it rains? It's fairly open in there hahaha.

Wish me luck.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here