Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member: goudy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member: goudy

Hi. Been a long time lurker, decided to take the plunge and try and up things a notch.

Classically trained in Brazil by our neighbors in the art of churrasco. Nothing I love more than spending half a day standing over the charcoal and then sharing 3-4 cuts/types of meat as the sun goes down with family and friends. I prefer charcoal to gas (much to my wife's dismay--she prefers the convenience of gas). Would like to get into smoking but in Peru it isn't a thing, although you can find a few people doing it. I have a little imported barrel smoker we took on an airplane as its own bag.

What I would like to learn how to do is cook better and more efficiently. Make better use of my fire, spices, and different cuts. Always looking for fun and interesting sides.

Been using bamboo and mahogany chips as my smoking wood. Our friend planted mahogany trees (40+) as a "retirement IRA" and he always brings me the branches that fall off using the year for smoking. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Hope to become an active member.

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
    Lookin forward to learnin along with an from ya!

Comment

Welcome from south Texas! Would love to learn about bbq in Peru!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ... where in Peru are you? I spent a while in Lima back in the ‘90s.

Comment

• goudy
          goudy commented
          Editing a comment
          We live on the eastern side of the mountains, jungle town called Pucallpa doing non-profit work. Lots of tough cuts of beef, loads of fish, mountains of chicken, hunks of pork and wild game (deer, majas, and gator.)

One good grill in town, but gets old after a few times cause the menu never changes.

We like to visit Lima, but its really expensive now to live there.

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

I would think bamboo chips would be Ok due to it being grass, but mahogany, whew that’s a tough one. The only use of that I have had is furniture. I’ll be real interested who & what the outcome is of this question. Welcome aboard, eat good and have fun!
          Last edited by FireMan; May 4, 2020, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois!

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota USA.

Comment

Welcome from Massachusetts!

Comment

Welcome from SC!

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you.

Bamboo and mahogany wow. Good to know that if I run out of wood I can throw FireMan cutting board and kitchen table into the pit.

Comment

• goudy
                          goudy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Its what I got to work with. I do get good smoke off the chunk charcoal we get down by the river. Once you pick out the odd nail or screw if course. Can even get a bag the size of you delivered by motorcycle if you want.

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas, Texas, USA!

Comment

Welcome from Tennessee

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here