Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilling in Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilling in Scotland

Hello everyone,

This introduction has been long overdue since I have been a member now for over a year.

Proud owner of a Weber Genesis gas grill for quick and easy grilling and a large Big Green Egg for the more serious stuff.

Finished a Boston Butt last week with a 16 hour overnight cook and worth every minute. Next up Amazing baby back ribs.

Whilst I am here, a question for Fireboard Drive Fan users. Is the Fan weatherproof? As you can imagine rain is never far away in Scotland, even when not forecast, and looking for ways to keep the fan going even in the rain and snow.

Cheers

Bob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	840313

Beautiful setup. Welcome from Tennessee. No help on the fireboard though. I aspire to one, but I don't have it yet.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas, Texas, USA! I, too, cook on a Large Big Green Egg.

Comment

• BarbecueBob
        BarbecueBob commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks LA Pork Butt. We had a road trip planned through Texas this summer with several BBQ places along the way but the whole COVID-19 thing has thrown that in the water. Hope to still go later this year or next year.

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        BarbecueBob when you do make the trip plan to go to Lockhart, Texas. That town of 10,000 has three exceptional places - Smitty’s, Black’s and Kruez’s.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        BarbecueBob
        If you do make it to Lockhart and have the time, City Market in Luling is just down the road, and it's also one of our best.

Welcome from south Texas!

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

I grew up in east kilbride ang glasgow...so welcome! As far as the controller goes i would recommend a ziploc. Obviously that doesnt work with a fan which needs to pull in air. They are weatherproof up to some extent but continued exposure will almost certainly cause it to kick off at some point. Not an easy solve in scotland. I would say set up some kind of patio umbrella but im sure the wind would knock it over pretty quickly, lol. Ive done plenty of cooks in the rain here in NJ but typically i end up doing it the old fashioned way without the fan. If there is one thing ive learned over my short years of bbq its that 225-300 really doesnt seem to matter much.

Some people might call that blasphemy but im just talking based on my experience.
            Last edited by grantgallagher; May 1, 2020, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              I just recommended my extremely fancy Fireboard cover aka a ziplock baggie :-)

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Wow! You have grass there just like we sometimes have. Welcome, eat good and have fun!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Bob.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. We had a Scottish member by the name of @Meat_Monsters, or something to that affect, that started his own BBQ place I think in Aberdeen. Haven't seen him in quite a while, wonder if you've heard of him?

(OK yea I know, I can hear it now, "You're from Texas? Do you know so-and-so?")

Comment

• MBMorgan
                    MBMorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    MeatMonster (from Ellon, Aberdeenshire) is listed as a former member.

• BarbecueBob
                    BarbecueBob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    @MeanMonster opened a smokehouse in Ellon a wee place north of Aberdeen. I actually work in Aberdeen but never made it to his restaurant.
                    meatmonsters.co.uk

Welcome from Pennsylvania. We just went to Scotland for the first time last August. Loved it/ can’t wait to go again 🙂.

Comment

You had me at "Scotland". Welcome!

Comment

Welcome BarbecueBob and great to hear from you ..... I live near Seattle and have very similar climate to you. Tons of rain and never know when it will happen, of course. I have a small gazebo over top of my cookers and I use a Fireboard plus Drive/Fan. I put the Fireboard itself in my extremely fancy ziplock baggie cover and all the rest is fine in the weather. :-)

Comment

I don’t have a Fireboard, but I do like grantgallagher and cover my DigiQ with a ziplock. You could also wrap it with Glad Wrap or the like.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here