Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for 1st Grill for my House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! I didn't expect to get this many replies, y'all are great! I've been at work all day and didn't have a chance to read them all yet, but to answer some of the questions, I'd primarily be cooking for just our family of 3, with the occasional group of 6-10 sprinkled in there, maybe once a month at most.

I think at this point I'm narrowing it down to the Spirit or the Performer Kettle with the gas ignition. So now it's just down to the biggest debate in grills I guess, huh?

I'll let y'all know what I decide, the fact that my local Home Depot has the Spirit in stock for me to pick up tomorrow is a huge draw.

Also to update y'all, Hello from Central Texas!

Comment

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      Our Performer does great for our family of 4.

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
    Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

I'm not qualified to refer gassers, since I've never had one. Most likely would buy me a Weber, if I buy me one.

Weber kettles, which I do own a few of, are truly a Universal Cooker, especially with a few essential accessories, an I would heartily recomend em, with no reservation, whatsoever....

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Few is in the eyes of the beholder, huh Bonsey!!!

My new Performer Deluxe should be arriving next Thursday! Thank you to everyone for the advice! I’ll make sure to post pics when it’s assembled and I get my first cook on it.

I know everyone here is a big fan of the Smoke N Sear insert, and that’s on my list for Father’s Day at the latest, until then when I set up a two zone in the kettle do I try to use the two baskets that came with the Weber or can I just pile all of the coals on one side and hold them back with a log or brick?
    Last edited by Davis Berryman; May 4, 2020, 11:45 AM. Reason: Realized I said Premium, definitely got the deluxe with the gas assist.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      The baskets are ok, but don’t hold a ton of coals. Been a while since I used them - probably since I got a SnS. I did find them convenient for moving the coals around the grate using some tongs, to either have a direct grilling zone in the center, or move to the sides for cooking indirect in the center.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      You will be forever happy that you got the gas assist. You’ll never miss the money, and every time you start the grill it will be a breeze.

Come home from work. Start the chimney. Change clothes. turn off the gas. Prep your food, by then the chimney should be orange to the top. Dump the coals, spread them where you want them, and start cooking. It’s the same as starting a gasser halfway through.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Mosca only the Deluxe has gas assist. The Premium has everything except that.

If it was me, I’d get the Performer Kettle, a Slow n Sear, and a SnS drip griddle. You can do anything from brisket to pork butt to ribs to steak, chicken, burgers on that setup. It’s 90% as good as $2000 systems and you will get years of use out of it. You won’t outgrow what this can do for a long time .... More Cooker Syndrome (MCS) will be forcing you to buy stuff to BBQ long before you actually outgrow the capability of a kettle + SnS

Comment

Salutations from Hays, Kansas! Enjoy the search and the adventure! Bunch of smart folks here who can help!

Comment

Davis Berryman enjoy the Performer. Mine is by far my favorite grill, and the most flexible. So many ways to cook on it, and endless accessories.

Comment

Enjoy that new Performer!

Kathryn

Comment

I think the Performer comes with a hinged cooking grate if not pick up one at Home Depot or any hardware store that carries Weber accessories. Makes it easy to add charcoal or wood chunks to the fire if you are smoking something like a brisket or a pork butt that requires a longer low and slow cook. Also add a chimney starter to your initial kit. Put your charcoal in it set it on the charcoal grate over the propane burner, light it off and get the charcoal started. In about 20 minutes you are ready to cook without having used any charcoal lighter to flavor your food.

Another good investment is a copy of Meatheads book advertised at the top of the page. I bought a copy for myself several years ago and copy for my son when he bought his first house and we both use it frequently for reference.

Happy cooking!

Fred G

Comment

• Razor
              Razor commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree! I think I bought 4 or 5 copies now as gifts. 😂

Regarding the Weber Kettle, I have a 22” Kettle and a LBGE. I use the Kettle probably 90% of the time, because I do a lot more grilling and nothing grills better than a Weber Kettle. Other grills can grill just as good as a Kettle, but not better.

Comment

Originally posted by Polarbear777 View Post
              My recommendation is the 26” Weber kettle. It comes standard with a stainless grate and has the space to cook a whole 20 lb brisket, spatchcocked turkeys etc. versatile enough to sear, grill or smoke low and slow.

I’d also consider this if I didn’t need the cooking space. It has some nice features that I’ve actually added to several kettles and would have saved me time and frustration (it was just released)
              The Most Versatile Kettle on the Market! The Slow 'N Sear® Kettle Grill gives you all the performance you’d expect from a kettle style charcoal grill and is customized to work with our Slow ‘N Sear® accessory for unrivaled searing power, low ‘n slow smoking, and true two-zone cooking capability.

I am a huge fan of pk and would consider that if you prefer the square design and 4- point vents. The pk360 can cook anything pretty much any way so long as it fits. It doesn’t quite accommodate a 18 lb packer brisket or a whole spatchcocked turkey without splitting them. The original pk is about as optimized for steak cooking as something that simple could possibly be, but on the small side.
              I agree with Polarbear, I am a huge PK fan, they are very well built and the cast aluminum won't rust. You hear stories of people cooking on PKs that their grandparents bought in the 1950s. The rectangle shapr make it easy to cook indirect. I cook for my family of 4 on my PK classic with no issues. The Weber kettle is also a great grill if you go with the Weber, I recommend getting a slow and sear for indirect cooking.

Comment

Congrats. Next you need to order a PBC and you’ll be set to cook anything.

Comment

I'm in the Weber kettle camp. It's the first grill I owned back in the 1970's and learned how to cook over live fire using it. I still have two ( a 22" and a 26") and cook on them regularly to this day. It's the best value for cooking outdoors and with a few accessories you can smoke and grill as good as almost anything else out there. Good luck in your choices, you're actually in for a lot of fun in the hobby !!!

Comment

I'm a bit late to this dance. 1st welcome from Western Massachusetts. You can't go wrong with any kettle. Just make sure you hold funds for a Slow & Sear as well as a Vortex. You won't regret it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here