Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for 1st Grill for my House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    The baskets are ok, but don’t hold a ton of coals. Been a while since I used them - probably since I got a SnS. I did find them convenient for moving the coals around the grate using some tongs, to either have a direct grilling zone in the center, or move to the sides for cooking indirect in the center.

• Sweaty Paul
    replied
    Salutations from Hays, Kansas! Enjoy the search and the adventure! Bunch of smart folks here who can help!

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    Just pile the briquettes to one side and use a couple bricks to hold them in place in my opinion .... make sure to have a water pan against the brick

• ecowper
    replied
    If it was me, I’d get the Performer Kettle, a Slow n Sear, and a SnS drip griddle. You can do anything from brisket to pork butt to ribs to steak, chicken, burgers on that setup. It’s 90% as good as $2000 systems and you will get years of use out of it. You won’t outgrow what this can do for a long time .... More Cooker Syndrome (MCS) will be forcing you to buy stuff to BBQ long before you actually outgrow the capability of a kettle + SnS

Leave a comment:

• Davis Berryman
    replied
    My new Performer Deluxe should be arriving next Thursday! Thank you to everyone for the advice! I’ll make sure to post pics when it’s assembled and I get my first cook on it.

I know everyone here is a big fan of the Smoke N Sear insert, and that’s on my list for Father’s Day at the latest, until then when I set up a two zone in the kettle do I try to use the two baskets that came with the Weber or can I just pile all of the coals on one side and hold them back with a log or brick?
    Last edited by Davis Berryman; May 4, 2020, 11:45 AM. Reason: Realized I said Premium, definitely got the deluxe with the gas assist.

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    Few is in the eyes of the beholder, huh Bonsey!!!

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
    Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

I'm not qualified to refer gassers, since I've never had one. Most likely would buy me a Weber, if I buy me one.

Weber kettles, which I do own a few of, are truly a Universal Cooker, especially with a few essential accessories, an I would heartily recomend em, with no reservation, whatsoever....

Leave a comment:

• Davis Berryman
    replied
    Wow! I didn't expect to get this many replies, y'all are great! I've been at work all day and didn't have a chance to read them all yet, but to answer some of the questions, I'd primarily be cooking for just our family of 3, with the occasional group of 6-10 sprinkled in there, maybe once a month at most.

I think at this point I'm narrowing it down to the Spirit or the Performer Kettle with the gas ignition. So now it's just down to the biggest debate in grills I guess, huh?

I'll let y'all know what I decide, the fact that my local Home Depot has the Spirit in stock for me to pick up tomorrow is a huge draw.

Also to update y'all, Hello from Central Texas!

Leave a comment:

• troymeister
    commented on 's reply
    Ditto!

• ColonialDawg
    replied
    I vote for the Weber 26 inch Kettle. You can smoke and sear just about anything on it. Add a SNS for a 22-inch kettle and a cheap Vortex knockoff from Amazon.com and you are golden.

Leave a comment:

• Steve R.
    commented on 's reply
    That settles it! Time to pull the trigger on that SmokeFire contraption I have been hearing about.
    Last edited by Steve R.; May 1, 2020, 11:16 AM.

• rwhfly
    replied
    Just in case you haven't seen this you can go to the product ratings page on the free site then look at the grill ratings. You can filter for cost, fuel, etc but not by Home Depot though :-)

This link will take you to a search I just did for grills using charcoal or gas and costing under $599.

https://amazingribs.com/equipment-re...d_tid%5B%5D=27

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    You could buy the Spirit E210 for $300 then take your gift certificate and leftover cash to buy a premium kettle.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...t-ace-hardware

Or you could do what I did and buy a spirit for $100 and a kettle for $75 from Craigslist.

Leave a comment:

• ssandy_561
    replied
    If you do chose charcoal I believe a 22” Weber Kettle is probably a great choice for a starter grill.

1. I believe there is more information on the internet as to how to cook on a 22” Weber Kettle that any other grill.

2. I believe the 22” Weber Kettle has more accessories built specifically for it than any other grill.

3. I can grill, smoke, low and slow, hot and fast, sear, griddle, bake on my Weber Kettle.

I have 4 different outdoor cookers (Weber Kettle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Smoke Vault, Blackstone Griddle) and I’d say 60% to 70% of all my cooks are on the Weber Kettle.

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    replied
    Welcome from TN. Just to throw another idea in, you could get a kettle and a gas stove instead of a grill - something like a Camp Chef Pro 90 or a Blackstone? I prefer the Camp Chef because the burners are exposed and I can use pans or a griddle on it, but the Blackstone products are prettier. So now I do steaks in the SV or on the kettle and sear them on the Camp Chef (I actually have the Tahoe model) in either a CI pan or on the CI griddle that came with the stove.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis