Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different woods for smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different woods for smoking

Hello everyone, first question to the group so please forgive mistakes, besides they are Siri’s fault anyway. Has anyone tried Osage?

Welcome from Colorado ... and I wouldn’t try Osage. It seems pretty toxic according to this: http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...-and-toxicity/

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Cain’t say welcome to the pit as you’ve been here for 6 years now.
          But it’s great to see you posting. 👍
          No experience with Orange/Osage. But that would kinda scare me as from what I’ve read the fruit is not human consumable.
          Got the same dilemma with some walnut that I have.
          Walnuts obviously are edible. But what is the wood gonna be like to smoke with??

Hopefully a wiser mind than mine will chime in. 😁

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Walnut is like a stronger version of hickory, and I'm here to tell about it, so smoke on.

Ok, your membership fee just paid itself in full through MBMorgan saving yer life. Welcome, eat good & have fun!

Comment

Interesting question that I personally asked a local bbq legend/shop owner 20 years ago. His answer an emphatic no!!! BUT 6 months later he was selling it in chunks and recommending it. Tried it and was not too bad.
            My palette for tasting and describing wood smoke flavor profiles is definitely lacking. To me it left kind of a very muted yellow mustard taste. Not unpleasant but definitely not my favorite. It does smell wonderful while it is burning.
            Last edited by Cheef; April 30, 2020, 08:59 PM.

Comment

We have Shite-Tonnes of Osage Orange, Hedge, Black Locust, hereabouts...
              While a most excellent heat producin firewood, not only me, but most importantly, none of my hillbilly bbq mentors have ever considered usin it as a 'Smoker Wood'.
              Mosta them was borned afore World War One, which I've always considered to be a useful database of experience, an fantastic reference source that I was once privileged to have had at my disposal. Good thang I can shut up, least sometimes, an jus listen, mebbe axe a few questions, if/when they seemed receptive to any.Mighta learned me a thing, or two...
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 2, 2020, 03:53 PM. Reason: Ficksed a tipoe lol :-)

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Brother a big chunk of family is from Missouri ... and I don’t mean Kansas City .... and they refuse to use Osage to cook with. I’m with you

Many thanks for the wisdom! Yes it is nice burning and I see the points about why not for food. I only asked cuz my other hobby is making traditional self longbows and recurves so have lots of cutoffs. BTW does anyone like incorporating lava rocks or ceramic tiles into a gas grill and if so why one over the other? Again many thanks from Vegas!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here