Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100 pages Viewed So Far "so sign up already!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 pages Viewed So Far "so sign up already!"

Well it all started when I saw a Beer Can Chicken recipe (kinda sorta) and I wanted to know what flame to use or if I put it over the flame or not ... that article on this site came up in the search results about how it doesn't work and I clicked, being a woman of science-ish myself and wanting to know how steaming beer could NOT enhance anything, and got educated.
    And then i just kept clicking links and..well...that counter just kept going up!! So I figured fine, for 4c/article I'm already ahead of the game...

Short story about me? Family is not really a BBQ family in that sort of religious way, but my dad uses the BBQ whenever he can. My mom fails hard at it but bless her she keeps trying, so out of self preservation I started trying to learn how to use it to save us all (my parents are split so I'm quite happy to let my dad reign the grill at his house).
    Now an adult and finally settling in a place that will allow a grill (rentals are so picky today!) I'm excited to start actually learning how to BBQ, instead of just knowing how to not char things as bad.
    I'm a Paramedic (PCP-IV for those in the know, about an EMT in American terms, and I'm separate from a fire station which is the norm in Canada) that works part-time "on the street" and part time in the oilpatch. So for large chunks of time I have nothing to do but read food magazines, food websites, food forums...and plan everything I want to try cooking when I get out!

Coming into this I had somewhat learned the foil pouch, my go to for potatoes, and that chicken shouldn't be cooked over an open flame. Steaks were somewhat of a mystery but I managed to hack it enough to get by and that's about where it ends.

My boyfriend is from Peru and this whole BCC/BBQ journey started with me thinking I could maybe better replicate Peruvian Rotisserie chicken (Pollo a la Brasa) on the BBQ than I had in the oven. All the recipes involve pouring beer over the chicken (I'll be investigating an alternative in another thread after some further snooping around) but I found one where he used the can in the butt and thought "Genius! It imparts beer flavour without washing off the rub!" Of course now I know that's wrong...
    So now I'm going to be haunting the boards and the articles, soaking up as much as the meat sponge between my ears can take and using it as much as possible on the grill over the summer. I'm not aiming to be a pit master but a competent weekend warrior seems like a good 'nuff goal for me (I tend to be a 'good 'nuff' kinda girl).

Starting with my $99 Canadian Tire special I'll be purchasing this week (I'm in a work camp atm) we'll see if I can't give up the oven/stove for good this summer(for the 2 months it's hot up here anyway).

Much thanks to Meathead, and all the other contributors to the articles I've read so far (and to the site for being free as there was a time when I wouldn't have been able to pay the subscription!) and in advance to the forum peeps!
    Looking forward to the summer with you all!

Welcome to the Pit -traumallama

Comment

Love the username and intro.

Welcome and thanks for the support!!!

Comment

Welcome, and can you expand on the work camp? I'm picturing an old time railroad builders tent camp where you walk around bandaging people up.

Comment

• TraumaLlama
          TraumaLlama commented
          Editing a comment
          Not so old timey, but same idea yup! Though I have met people that worked out of an old Caboose that followed the workers..
          I live in an Atco trailer, either my own or in camp depending on the situation. Depending on the work I sit on site in my trailer or in a truck and make sure people have required tickets to work on site, and keep track of who's on and off site so we know when the bad stuff happens who to go looking for. And yea standing by in case someone gets hurt. Right now I live and sleep on site so if someone gets hurt at night I get woken up. But that usually means overtime so it's all good!!
          So it's a whole lot of sitting around entertaining myself! I'm "old" now (27 hah!) and been at this long enough I don't pick up truck jobs anymore, there's no internet, they're cramped (I'm 6'3" and while a Ford Super Duty is plenty big in the cab that gets smaller and smaller as you approach 12 hours) and I like being able to use washroom facilities whenever I want!

Thanks! And welcome!

Comment

Welcome Aboard traumallama!

Comment

Welcome Traumallama! We're glad you're here. The first thing I though when I saw your avatar was "paramedic" so it's very fitting.

Comment

• TraumaLlama
              TraumaLlama commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm glad it worked!!!

Canada + oil patch, are you from Alberta too? I'm from Calgary, welcome aboard!

Comment

• bbqoaf
              bbqoaf commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee agreed, sushi is pretty awesome. Bright red, fresh, wild, pacific salmon served raw and cold smoked would be part of my last meal. Can't beat Van for sushi, fresh fish and a huge Asian population make it incredible.

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              We did Miku for Sushi and Joe Forte's for seafood. Both were awesome!

Memphis Blues was actually on our list but we're only here one more night and I'm not sure we're going out. I'll mention it to the group. Thanks for confirming it's good!

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              bbqoaf I'm no connoisseur by any means (but I do love it and make a point to get a lot of it when the wife & I are out) so I can't say I've had salmon sushi, but I'm a sucker for ahi tuna. I could eat my weight in that stuff. I've gotten a dinner of ahi sashimi, very rare, (light sear, red everywhere else) it was indescribably good.

Welcome to The Pit TraumaLlama! Glad to have you here. I work with medics every night in the ER, you guys have the tough job loadin' 'em up and bringin' them to us. Thank you for what you do!

Like Jerod said, great intro post!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• TraumaLlama
              TraumaLlama commented
              Editing a comment
              Will do and thank you!
              And I dunno, I think you guys have a harder time in the ER. I just whistle them in, often times with limited information and then leave that mess for you to clean up!!
              Also I don't have to deal with the obnoxious midnight callers for more than a couple of minutes (I take my perks where I can!). Thanks to you and the rest of the staff for not going too hard on me when I do!!

Welcome to The Pit TraumaLlama! Glad you found you way here so much can be learned on The Pit and AmazingRibs thank you for signing up and enjoy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here