Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jonoaf, here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jonoaf, here

Hi folks, I'm Jon. I guess I'm now the newest new guy here. A few months ago I bought an old COS from Craigslist. Since I've had 0 experience in smoking, I decided to search online for general tips and instructions as well as mods to makes it better (I'm a tinkerer by nature, more on that later) and came upon this great site. Bad news for me that I already wasted my money to buy a COS, but the flip side is I paid way below retail and it's one of the larger older heavy gauge Brinkmann's so at least it wasn't a total loss. I've also got a small Weber Jumbo Joe that I recently picked up and and older charbroil gas grill. I love to cook and I make a pretty good burger or steak in a cast iron pan and a decent job on on the propane grill so now it's time to develop the charcoal and smoking skills.
    I'm an IT guy by trade, serving 4 years in the Air Force as a satellite communications technician and now a full time network technician in the civilian world. Being in that role and wanting a break from the rat race has led to my wife an I to start our own homestead. We're renovating the house before we move in and we plan on having a small amount of livestock and and a decent garden in addition to the small orchard already on the property. I'm also a beginning beekeeper and hobbyist blacksmith and actively attend both guild meetings. Thanks for having me. I'm looking forward to learning more.
    Last edited by Jonoaf; May 24, 2015, 08:25 AM.

Welcome Aboard Jon.... sounds like you have lots going!

I am trying to figure out how to do less and cook more LOL!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Jon

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

I reckon I can welcome you aboard, even though I am a newbie myself. Where you from?

BTW, you are preparing to live my dream life, so I already don't like you by default!

Comment

Haha, I'm from central Virginia near Fredericksburg. If I can establish the thought that I don't know a thing about computers amongst my neighbors then I think I will have succeeded in assimilating!

Comment

Welcome.....after that lush garden, get a collection of Russian Nesting Dolls. Nacho Libre would be proud.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Love that movie. I'm a huge connoisseur of dumb quotable humor. Get that corn outta my face.

Welcome to The Pit Jonoaf! Would being a blacksmith give you some skills as far as modding your COS? Or are you talking the horseshoe and sword-making kind of blacksmith? Forgive my ignorance in that area.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

A Farrier makes horse shoes, a blacksmith makes everything else. Everyone has their own niche though. As far as the mods go, quiet a bit of cosmetic stuff can be done or things like shelves or spits could be made without a welder or with minimal welding (ie bending a corner vs cutting and welding a corner) You could also make some really ornate handles if you want to. Of course that won't make smoked bacon taste any better though :-)

Comment

Welcome Jon! I'm a USAF Vet as well. Flew C-130s in the Nav position.

We're glad you're here!

Comment

Thanks! I spent my days in a cold equipment room full of humming equipment far from any planes. I had one incentive flight in a KC-135 but that's it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here