Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner needs advice. Memphis Rub mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner needs advice. Memphis Rub mistake

Hi, out there in BBQ Land. I'm about to smoke pork butt for the first time. I mixed Meathead's Memphis rub but put double the right amount of ginger. should I toss the rub and start over? Or use as is?

I would throw in a little more brown sugar, if I did anything at all, and then smoke on. I can't imagine anyone being able to tell the difference once it's cooked.

Comment

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Steve (as a general rule, and also in this specific instance.)

• Rockfarmer
      Rockfarmer commented
      Editing a comment
      THANKS Guys. I'll trudge on. Tomorrow morning will fire up Weber and try it out

If you haven't used any yet, dump it into a bigger bowl and add another amount of all the other ingredients except don't add any ginger. Mix well. This will bring it back into proportion and yu'll have twice as much ready.

Comment

• Rockfarmer
      Rockfarmer commented
      Editing a comment
      Good thinking! Thanks

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. You can't have too much Memphis Dust anyway.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      10-4 my Mississauga Dust is never the same twice anyway as my measuring is table/teaspoons, cups, garden spades....
      Never had anyone croak.
      One day I did get the paprika and cayenne pepper confused....that was mentioned!!!!
      Last edited by smokin fool; April 30, 2020, 07:58 PM.

Before doing anything more with this batch, taste a little dab of the rub. Roll it around in your mouth. Do you like it with the extra ginger? If yes, use it. If not, I'd do what Mgaretz suggests. I've found ginger to be one of those spices you can use a lot of or a little of and it usually tastes fine.

Comment

• Loren
      Loren commented
      Editing a comment
      I strongly second this.

I've had a few...measuring mishaps cough🥃cough while making rubs or sauces, and usually they were pretty good (caveat: I get my wife's opinion because two is better then one...especially after a few drinks 🤣).

So far I've only had to double recipe once, all the other times they have worked out good or really good.

• Rockfarmer
      Rockfarmer commented
      Editing a comment
      Well,it was 1am and wine was involved

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Rockfarmer it's been known to happen, no worries...wine isn't really an issue here, but sudden, unexpected blasts of bourbon are quite common, here on th Prairie, a very credible threat, indeed!

In the Memphis Rub your portions of ginger, onion powder, rosemary, pepper are so small compared to the sugar, garlic and paprika that you really should not notice the extra ginger. It’s going to be maybe the difference between 1/4 and 1/2 tsp spread across the large surface of a pork butt. I think you’re absolutely fine as is.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I don’t know why I waited so long to try a cook. It turned out ok. It ended up being an all night cook. Think I’ll be kettle-ing right along now. Can’t decide what to try next. So far no family members have bad side effects.
      Attached Files

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice, umm, butt

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like it come out jus fine, Nice Job!

Look great!

Comment

Mighty fine lookin butt, yessir. I do notice the little extry ginger though. Yup, there is a slight gingery tinge to the color, I can tell. 🕶

Comment

I’d eat it,,,,
          remember one thing,,,,,we make no mistakes in bbq
          just some minor miscalculations,,,,,

Comment

If you have a Weber you can probably set up the snake/fuse method and let it cook all night while you sleep.

Comment

• Rockfarmer
              Rockfarmer commented
              Editing a comment
              I used Slow N Sear. After about 5 Hrs. had to add water and a few briquettes. I discovered sleep is a little more precious than I remembered. Just a few decades ago it was easy to stay awake.

• LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              Rockfarmer The snake method can run for ten hours plus.
              Last edited by LA Pork Butt; May 2, 2020, 10:12 AM.

• IowaGirl
              IowaGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              LA Pork Butt -- Yes, I like a little snack now and then. But 10 hours between snacks might be a little long. Sure you're right on that timing???

Thanks. I’ll give it a try

Comment

Originally posted by Rockfarmer View Post
              Thanks. I’ll give it a try
              I routinely get 8-12 hours on a load of charcoal in the SnS, depending on brand and type. I just fuel up about 11pm, then go to sleep until 6 or 7am. Water after the first 5 hours is not needed in my experience, and I’ve smoked 1000+ butts over the years, and almost exclusively on the kettle with SnS the past couple of years.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here