Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Figured it was about time I introduced myself.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to here from ya! Don’t stop now. Show us some cookin!!!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Please don't wait another six years to post again.

Comment

Holy smoke! Sept. 2014! Charter member! Meatheads nephew! Amazing! Welcome, eat good & have fun!

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you. Stalker!

Comment

Welcome - from the Land of Enchantment!

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

I'm terrible about taking pictures. Once the food is ready I can't think about anything else but eating it. Here are some pictures. There is some Brisket, Home-cured bacon, and that last one is rolled and tied up flap steak that I smoked, and they cooked them sous vide it was basically a meat rollup.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for being so welcoming!

Comment

You have come to the right place. For Sure...Better late than never. 😏

Comment

Welcome! I have a GMG DB as well, which I also bought after reading reviews on this site.

If you are really in the market for more cooking real estate but don't have the budget for a bigger smoker, you may want to consider supplementing instead of upgrading. I also use a Weber Performer (though a basic kettle without the table would do) with a Slow n Sear and find the results of cooking with charcoal and a few wood chunks have so much more flavor, though obviously that is a matter of personal preference. I might stick to the GMG for poultry (especially skinless turkey breast) and fish where I don't want an overwhelming smoke flavor, but reverse searing a thick steak or tri-tip on the kettle with a few chunks of wood (I've been using pecan) has been phenomenal. I also think the stronger smoke profile would be an advantage when doing SVQ.

I like having the flexibility that having two cookers offers, especially if somewhere down the road you add some of the million other toys for the kettle. I can have the GMG going while also using the kettle as an additional smoker, maybe at a different temp (I like to cook pork butt at a little hotter to cut down on time), sear some thinner cuts (flank or skirt for fajitas), rotisserie some birds/roasts/pineapple, or cook a bunch of wings/drums using a Vortex. It's a relatively inexpensive way to add more space, but more importantly for me it gives me more options and ways to explore. The downside is once you start experimenting and see how different the results can be from one method to the next, the MCS really kicks into high gear. My wife would definitely not go for another grill or smoker, so I've had to turn to other ways to satisfy the craving that can fly a bit under the radar. My cast iron collection grew from 2 to 6. I even just ordered a molecular gastronomy set that was on sale online in order to keep looking for new creative ways to play in the (indoor and outdoor) kitchen.

Sorry for the long reply.I thought it would be short and sweet when I started to write. But the end of a long day after not much sleep got my mind wandering and now I'm excited thinking about all of the different cooks that I want to do. I guess I won't be getting much more sleep tonight either.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here