Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Rookie, here to learn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Rookie, here to learn!

I am a pit rookie, joining the site to learn all about smoking those luscious meats! Looking forward to learning so I can try my hand at smoked meat loaf and smoked fish and smoked bacon! And thanks for the magnet, it is GREAT!

Welcome to the Pit Materialgirl

Comment

Welcome, where are you from? What equipment are you working with?

Comment

• Materialgirl
        Materialgirl commented
        Editing a comment
        I live outside of Atlanta, Georgia. Right now all I have is a 4 burner gas grill. Looking for advice on a good smoker.

Welcome MG, you're in the right place.

Comment

Welcome MG. Before you smoke meat loaf for the first time you may consider creating a thread seeking advice. Meat loaf is like the pied piper for one of the moderators, Jerod Broussard. I did my first meatloaf on the kettle a few weeks ago and he gave me some tips.

Comment

Welcome aboard, MG... you will like this!

Comment

Materialgirl I was supposed to be visiting a friend in Athens and trying out all of the local joints in Atlanta here in a couple weeks but work is sending me to Shelton CT instead. Closest thing to BBQ they have up there is Chili's. There are tons of good smokers, can't go wrong with a Pit Barrel Cooker as your first.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit!!! You're gonna love it here.

Comment

Hello MG!

Comment

​Welcome to The Pit Materialgirl! Glad to have you here! What types of smoking do you want to do- pellets, stick burner, charcoal, electric? Like mentioned the PBC will be pretty easy just a little learning curve with the lighting procedure from what I read. Cabinet charcoal smokers are very easy to operate (good ones, not cheap ones) and meat placement is easy with flat racks like an oven. Pellet smokers and electrics have the advantage of being SIFI (set it and forget it) in their own unique ways, and stickburners are just FUN! If you won't be cooking for more than 3 or 4 people you can make some darn tasty food on an inexpensive but well built Weber Kettle. There's a new device coming very soon that helps turn it into a smoker much easier than the current similar accessory...

So I guess the question is what do you see yourself preferring to be tied to time-wise, and how much will you regularly cook, and what is your budget? With a little more info we can all help you come up with some ideas.

Moving on, since this is one of your first posts, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

OK, I have the ribs, the smoker setup and the Memphis dust. The spare ribs go on the smoker at Noon tomorrow. Will let you know how they turn out and if my husband likes them.

Comment

• Materialgirl
                      Materialgirl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The ribs turned out great! My husband (who is from Texas) said the best he ever had....what a compliment. Thanks to all you guys and the techniques I found here. I have already done smoked salmon, smoked brisket, and smoked a chicken. All were excellent. Tomorrow it is finally time for the Georgia pulled pork. The pork shoulder goes on the smoker tomorrow morning. I am having too much fun and my friends are having too much food!

That sounds great! That's where I started as well. Send us some pics tomorrow.

Comment

MEATerialgirl... ZING! Anyone?? No...? (Crickets)

Comment

You should get some tasty ribs with your gasser set up to smoke, Materialgirl. Have fun with that cook. What wood are you using?

Kathryn

Oh and P.S., the Pit Barrel Cooker makes an awesome first smoker. That's how I rolled, from a gasser to the PBC. Best choice I ever made, smokerwise. My husband says it's amazing how much good food comes out of that little barrel. 😄
                        Last edited by fzxdoc; June 11, 2015, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here