Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just joined and need advice on what BBQ to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just joined and need advice on what BBQ to buy

Hi all, I'm from the UK (close to the home of Shakespeare) and for family consumption make a range of dry cured, cold smoked bacon and the like. I also have a Bradley Digital Hot Smoker that I use for a variety of cooking purposes. The one thing I've never really had is a good outdoor BBQ and have just got a decent bonus so was wondering what a good but not horrendously expensive personal GAS BBQ was for me and my family (price range less than $1,500). I want to get something that is quality, will last and has lots of versatility and not sure where to start as its a major purchase and want to get it right. My last BBQ is on its last legs but I got it 25 years ago

Welcome to the Pit from the California Delta. Can't help you with gas grill but there are many who can and will I'm sure.

Comment

I always recommend a Blaze because I like mine and appreciate the lifetime warranty. I don't know if it's available over there or not. They are almost in your price range. I bought mine from BBQGuys.com in their warehouse deals section and paid less than $1500.

Click image for larger version

Name:	q9BPgUEUEZu3ua4h7NjJQwTp2zhhp4r3Hrzu-c8JxgRDeUGy-k0GS1yDQ9rKM4CMJq5TV51mu7UGMzeJ62BMJtQaWjcs4FOeA2PJ_IZsqVbsK9bMAnB0CxXd83Eebsrk7YgCn7IXGpl6PtJNWdI0F-E7d-1oT1K10D8Z3y-eVqp1LFBlIYGIYCf34TuPU8keUMd8SE9rlNfG3BpNVoDkkH8JG2PSVczVqegsyJkZ3nI33IUnS49eirjqD1EcuzM
Views:	238
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	828695

Click image for larger version

Name:	IENVbD9TQHzz8MOqROgm5CA_n-1LO3wtrc009xAKV7k-5FxcyJAGXV9_M0J16LyuTqFqjWsXSkT4_UV88EpOoNTqMAorOTwgfMxz-1mAiLSukLYAKEMUjBXQfM7bPVjxY4VesrplMgYBuQtGBEm0MMZsvlTImvYpqfMJUyWoUiTd9s20FW9F8LrUi283_tzVQTxi_UM_w6S45pM9p1ZpuGJaaReu_f-hpyD_uI3FEfifPQW8-GKwuQpgtYAOinU
Views:	227
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	828696

Comment

• shify
        shify commented
        Editing a comment
        How do you like the rotisserie on the Blaze? I just got a Blaze grill and fired up the rotisserie for the first time last night and was fairly disappointed. Didn't get the heat I was expecting and feel like its too close to the grate. I did two 3ish lb chickens and the wings were scraping against the grate on every pass, so couldn't put a pan under it (but looks like you removed the grate... which AHA!!). Didn't get nearly the crispy skin I was expecting

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I love the rotisserie. I'm doing a pork tenderloin on mine tonight. Yeah, definitely remove the grate! Sometimes I leave the right and left grates on so I can grill on the sides. Mine gets hot and if you want it hotter turn the right and left burners on low (or higher). You might also consider trussing the chicken. I definitely get crispy skin. You should dry brine the chicken, sprinkle it with baking soda, and let it sit open to the air inside your fridge for 24 hours prior to cooking.

Welcome to The Pitmaster Club. I'm not always familiar with gas grills sold in the UK. Please narrow down your search to three models and we'll share our thoughts. Meanwhile, check out our Searchable Equipment Reviews for gas grill ideas: https://amazingribs.com/equipment-re...el_tid%5B%5D=2

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas, Texas, USA. Max Good is pointing you in the right direction.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
          Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya, mate!

I don't own no gas grill or smoker, but yer already in some Excellent hands with Max Good to advise ya!

There are many other Members here that doubtless will give ya their recommends, an th benefit of their knowledge, an experience!

Sláinte!

Comment

Welcome from south Texas! Lots of help on the way here!

Comment

I know Weber sells their grills in the UK, as there are Pitmaster club members with kettles in the UK. I've always liked their gas grills, having cooked on them since my father bought one around 1985. I've got a Genesis 2 burner made in 2002 that is still working well, and a Genesis II made in 2018. The Weber Spirit 2 and 3 burner grills are nice as well. The only thing I cannot recommend on the new Genesis II series is the rotisserie. It is too low to the grates, limiting the size of bird you can spin, and without a dedicated rotisserie burner, just doesn't work well.

The Genesis Summit series of gas grills are very nice, but probably out of the question given your budget.

Other grills that are nice are the Canadian made Broil King grills, as long as you get one with stainless grates. I've seen a Broil King Baron at a local store that was all stainless and looked VERY nice, and included both a side burner and a rotisserie.
              Last edited by jfmorris; April 9, 2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia. Both Blaze and Weber are great choices

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I'm a charcoal guy, so I can't help.

Comment

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

Originally posted by Max Good View Post
                      Welcome to The Pitmaster Club. I'm not always familiar with gas grills sold in the UK. Please narrow down your search to three models and we'll share our thoughts. Meanwhile, check out our Searchable Equipment Reviews for gas grill ideas: https://amazingribs.com/equipment-re...el_tid%5B%5D=2
                      Only got as far as looking at one model so far but would be grateful of any thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
                      Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I'm a charcoal guy, so I can't help.
                      I wish I could be a charcoal guy but when it comes down to it I think I'm just too lazy

Comment

• RonB
                        RonB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ya don't even need a grill to do charcoal if cookin' for one or two people. Just get a Weber chimney starter, some charcoal, and a concrete paver. Then set the chimney on the paver, (upside down for quick cooks like burgers and dogs), add charcoal and light. In 10 to 15 min, you will have a hot fire that you can grill over. Almost forgot, you need a small grate to lay on top of the chimney too...

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here