Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with new grill purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with new grill purchase

I am planning on buying a new grill this week. Got in narrowed down to a kamado joe classic or hasty bake. Most of my cooks are ribs, pork butts, chicken, and steaks with an occasional brisket. I do have a gateway drum smoker. Which grill do you think fits my needs better knowing this? Thanks for your help.i also have a griddle for things like hot dogs and burgers.

Wow, tough call.
    Your smoker can obviously handle the ribs, butts, & briskets...
    Steaks and chicken though... I’ve never used the Joe Classic. How does it handle 2-zone setups?

The Hasty Bake seems large enough to easily set it up for 2 zone cooking. Some kamados are more capable than others in that regard.
    I don’t have access to a Hasty Bake, and the closest thing to a kamado that I have is the Weber Summit Charcoal (I love it)...so I’m sure others will be able to offer a bit more insight. That said, I would definitely have a look at the reviews on the free side as well.

Comment

The Hasty-Bake can do everything you are talking about and will last a lifetime. I have a Hasty-Bake gourmet and have cooked everyone of those things on it. If you get the Hasty-Bake, you will want to seal the door to the firebox better. It is very loose fitting and you get a ton of air into the fire, which is a problem. Get a good seal on there and you will improve your cooks on the HB about 1000X ..... the other thing is get a set of grill grates. Although you can get the sear zone up to a solid 700F as it stands, with grill grates you will get over 900F according to my IR thermometer :-)

I have cooked everything you can think of on my Hasty-Bake ..... I’ve done 4 pork butts at once, 40 chicken thighs, I cook steak, chicken, etc routinely. For low and slow, I can keep it running about 240F for 6-8 hours before I have to refuel.

Here’s a few pics from some cooks on the Hasty-Bake

Click image for larger version

Name:	6B85C5D1-2184-405A-A381-5964870EE281.jpeg
Views:	325
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	826447

Name:	2CC096F7-9952-4902-8BA4-A878A506B76A.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	826448

Name:	A71A531A-8F8C-495A-A3C3-99EE518888F0.jpeg
Views:	305
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	826449

Name:	DD3081CC-BB94-4C8D-93DE-4F4BAB90B662.jpeg
Views:	300
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	826450

Name:	DC639EEB-FF2B-4A91-A362-1B881E85AED9.jpeg
Views:	295
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	826451

Name:	48B86296-3DC6-48D0-92AC-D917BF3B0550.jpeg
Views:	308
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	826452

Name:	F53C20FA-3587-41DB-9F6A-735A0DAD5DD3.jpeg
Views:	305
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	826453

Name:	590A5D9E-5530-411D-9C3C-E08C192C4A27.jpeg
Views:	309
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	826454

Comment

Knowing how many people you might wind up cookin' for should make the decision easier. I don't have either, but I think the Hasty Bake has more capacity.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll second that. Capacity needs can help you decide. It would appear this is a MCS purpose, since it appears you have cookers that can do everything you do.

thanks for the replies

Comment

If given the choice between a KJ Classic and a Hasty Bake, I’d go Hasty Bake because capacity & ability to cook anything.

Comment

Get them both! Better yet, get them all! Wait. I think I'm going all FireMan here and my last few posts.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              But will there be a rodeo?

If this helps ..... here’s my current cook, a rib roast on my Hasty-Bake. Using lump charcoal ..... it’s running rock steady at 250F give or take a couple degrees :-)

Click image for larger version  Name:	A42C76DB-EB3C-452C-A657-AC0B3728849A.png Views:	0 Size:	53.2 KB ID:	826657

Comment

I was leaning hasty bake, now I’m sold. Ordering this week. Thanks to all that reponded

Comment

leol2 ..... I absolutely love mine. Have had it for 10 years now. It’s a beast. Like I said earlier, you will want to seal the door better, for sure. Happy to give input any time

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Razor I totally love the grill grates. With nothing but the regular HB grates, I could achieve 750F with lump charcoal at the grate for searing. With the Grill Grates I can get over 900F

• Razor
                  Razor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’ve been entertaining the thought, If I ever got another charcoal grill what would it be? I think HB would be it. I love my Performer Deluxe, but sometimes wish I had a little more space to cook. Space is extremely limited when cooking indirect on my kettle.

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Razor The two greatest things about the Hasty-Bake is the amount of grill space and the flexibility from direct high heat to 325F roasting to 225F low and slow

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here