Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corned Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corned Beef

Good morning! I bought a 12.5 pound brisket for making corned beef. Trimming the outside fat close to the meat left me with 8.5 pounds of meat. I'm just curious if I got a really fatty piece or would this yield be considered normal? Thanks!

I just did a choice 12.5 lb and yes, trimmed 3 lbs of fat.

Comment

• Dakmark
      Dakmark commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I didn’t even stop to think about the grade of the brisket. I’ll have to look at the label and see what I bought. It did say Angus. I associated that with being a better grade. Probably not the case.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I usually get a Costco prime brisket and have cut off about the same if not more.

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas!
    ​​

Comment

Pretty normal, especially if select or choice. The fat runs in thicker veins in lower grades as opposed to marveling the higher you go. Render it down for tallow used for frying, saute'ing or searing, or grind it to add to lean for burgers and sausage.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here