Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous-vide not so easy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous-vide not so easy?

I need help for a Sous-vide novice. I read meathead’s book, really informative. I already vacuum seal, and had a thick ribeye to test with. Bought a Anova precision, and set to 124 degrees, cooking for about two hours. Placed in frig. Then when ready , put it on a grill (love my grill grates). After searing, steak was evenly cooked at medium rare, but VERY tough. I’ve never had a tough ribeye from where I purchase, and I thought this process would make it more tender. Don’t know where I took a wrong turn? Thanks in advance.

I havent ever taken straight from sous vide to the fridge. I either go straight to sear (if lazy) or preferably ice shock. I do wonder if the slower cooling in the fridge played a role?

that said, it could have just been an angry cow.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Also...welcome to the PIT

2 hours isn't long enough to have any significant tenderizing effect. I doubt the sous vide made it tough, BTW.

Comment

solid resource on sous vide steak. I dont think your cooking conditions were off

Comment

• Scotty oBushMaster
        Scotty oBushMaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the link. A couple of things I didn’t do. One is I didn’t let the water get to temp. And I’m going to cook to 130 and go straight to grill. Maybe just an hour for the ribeye.

Welcome to The Pit Scotty. Sorry, but I don't sous or vide...

Comment

• Scotty oBushMaster
        Editing a comment
        Lol apparently neither do I!

When I hear 'thick ribeye' I think steak. Correct? How thick? Basically you want the SV bath to get the steak to temp all the way through. It should be cooked when you're done. Now if the was a 1.5" steak of decent quality (Choice, say)... thats weird. But if it's 3-4" two hours isn't enough time.

Comment

• Scotty oBushMaster
        Editing a comment
        It was 1 inch thick. Question: How do you know it’s done throughout? I used the Anova app But its geared for recipes. I’m just guessing unless I poke a hole to take temp? Maybe the joule app is better?

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        1 inch should be done in an hour, maybe 90 mins. 2 hours should be fine. What grade meat was it?

• shify
        shify commented
        Editing a comment
        Scotty oBushMaster - To know if its done, obviously you can take internal temp, but that is not possible if you vacuum seal (although a vacuum seal is unnecessary). For SV, there is no risk for overcooking like on a grill, but leaving it in too long may have an impact on the texture. So most resources, give you a min amount of time typically necessary to get the meat of the relevant thickness to temp. For a 1 inch ribeye coming in at fridge temp, that should be around an hour.

Have you ever used the Joule app? It’s a nice resource that gives you instructions based on thickness and doneness of your steak and a bunch of other foods. Really easy to navigate. Sous vide is great don’t give up!

Comment

Just a few points:
        1. 124F is too low for safety ... especially for longer cooks. 131 is generally considered the minimum safe SV temp.
        2. SV won’t make anything tougher. Too long in the hot tub might make it mushier ... but not tougher.
        3. I don’t always shock in an ice water bath (unless I’m going to refrigerate) but if I’m going directly to sear, I do let it cool down a few degrees first so I don’t overshoot my target temp (usually med-rare) while searing.
        4. I tend to agree with grantgallagher that you likely just started out with a tough piece of meat.

Comment

• Scotty oBushMaster
          Editing a comment
          Thanks MB. I also read 130 is minimum in the book. I did cook it a bit more on the grill to bring it up to temp. I’m probably overthinking this. Seems like the best thing to do is always go to the grill immediately after? I’m now thinking my ribeye was from an angry cow.

Is it worth the extra effort to sous vide 1 inch thick steak? Direct grill or reverse sear has always worked for me on thin steaks.

Comment

• Scotty oBushMaster
          Editing a comment
          I see your point. It was an experiment that unfortunately has me not confident about trying brisket with it. I also cooked a chicken breast that was excellent. So not a complete failure.

I haven’t done a brisket by sous vide but I think you should be safe there since there is very little risk of overcooking. Because my Egg with a thermostatic controller is so easy I haven’t done long cooks with sous vide. So far I have mostly used sous vide to cook boneless chicken breasts and it does a fantastic job with a final 15 minute hot smoke at the end. Good luck on your experiments.

Comment

I SVd for the first time this week. Used prime sirloins for 3 hours to 135. Advice was not to less than 2 hrs. While I should have seared them at a higher temperature the results were good and the steak was more tender than a similar one from the same batch that I did on a BGE the week before. My guess is it could have been the steak itself.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!
            Cheers from Norway

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here