Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ground Zero Newbie from the Bay Area- CA. Looking to buy my first small grill- probably propane, unless convinced otherwise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome from Houston! Never too late to jump into the world of outdoor cooking! Also, you’re already in the right place to learn.

Personally, I have a Weber Genesis gas grill, Weber 22” kettle with SnS, and an old Oklahoma Joe offset smoker. I love and use all 3.

From the sounds of things, you already have access (at least while you still live where you do) to the charcoal cooker and some type of smoker. You mentioned that you are saving for a house for you and your soon to be larger (Congratulations!) family. Considering all of that, I would go for a gasser. (Gas grill). I wouldn’t worry about spending big on a top of the line model or anything until you know where you’re going to end up, how much room you will have, and if gas will even suit your needs/desires long term. When I got back from Iraq, I bought a $120 3 burner plus a side burner "house special" grill at Lowes since I was in a rental house and didn’t want to spend big money on my nice Weber. I never knew what the Army had planned for me next and figured that any grill I had would be a "throw away" until I got out. It was challenging to turn out really good smoked BBQ, but I’ll tell you that it was PERFECT for the quick fire type of grilling that you mentioned. Burgers, steak, chicken, hot dogs/sausages/brats, pork chops, seafood, veggies, I was able to do it all. The great thing about the cheap one was that I didn’t feel bad when it got rained on. Plus, I learned a lot about outdoor cooking. Lots of experimentation. I wouldn’t go with the smaller Weber’s that you mentioned, only because you will find that there really isn’t much real estate for cooking. Lol, looking back, I abused the crap out of that grill and it ended up lasting me something like 5 years. Started life at Ft. Hood Texas, moved to Vegas where it sat in the direct desert sun, and I never put a cover on it once. Once you get your own place and loose access to the other cookers, you can always find Weber Kettles on Craigslist for ~$40 and then add an SnS.

SO, a long post to say that if it were me, I would get a cheap gasser for the mid week quick cooks and learn/practice on your in-laws cookers. The other great thing about my gasser is that a few years ago, I taught my then 8 year old son how to properly use the grill for burgers and dogs. He’s 11 now and has been using the grill with minimal supervision ever since. My wife actually makes him grill when I’m out of town.

FWIW, I’ve decided that I will never be with out at least a gasser and a kettle again. Or my stick burner. Lol.

Welcome again! We look forward to seeing your pick!

Comment

Welcome from Southern Oregon - ex Santa Clara resident (29 years).

I can vouch for the Weber Q series being good. I cooked on one for many years before giving it up for a pellet grill. I passed the Q on to my son - in hindsight, I should have kept it for quick searing, easy startup, general everyday use.
      The Q I had was on a stand - I'd recommend one unless you have a table or some other surface to place it on.
      I've also admired the Napoleon Travel Q and think it would be an excellent choice. Yes, propane gas is an excellent idea for quick and easy use with less mess. I'd also recommend a bit bigger that Q1000 or 1200, unless you plan to take it traveling.

Best of luck with whatever you choose...

http://grillroastandfry.com/napoleon...s-weber-q2200/

One other thought - the Napoleon Q has two burners - this can be a big advantage for indirect cooking - especially with chicken. Something to consider.
      Last edited by treesmacker; February 25, 2020, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia! You have come to the right place!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!
          Cheers from Norway

Comment

First off, congratulations on the pending
            fatherhood. It’s amazing and wonderful and you will be so tired and wiped out for the first year that I would pass on the charcoal for now (especially as you can access your FiL when you have some time - which you won’t!).

My first grill was a little weber smokey joe that I used on the fire escape of my 400 square foot Brooklyn apartment. Every time I started the coals the neighbors would threaten to call the fire department- until I started to share the burgers and chicken. But once my first kid came around (I was around your age), I had no time to mess about with the charcoal. We moved to the burbs, got a small gasser, and I used it because it was simple. Didn’t get my first "real" cooker until I was 40.

You can up your game with a smoke box and the techniques from this site and when you have the time and the energy, move up to something more tailored to your tastes. Just my two cents, but since you have a lot going on and trying to save money, I would take it easy. Certainly no shame in that- learn to cook with easy tools, figure out your tastes, and then come back here and find your perfect cooker when you have tome to use it.

(by the way, there is no perfect cooker. Unless you get all of them, which is something I am still trying to make enough money for)

Comment

Welcome to the Pitmaster Club!

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. It’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, you can change it by simply visitinghttps://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Great Giveaway Monthly Sweepstakes winner, which is open to all paying USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Keep the smoke rollin’

Spinaker

Comment

Welcome aboard from sunny SoCal.

I agree with RickyBobby and would suggest getting a small gasser for the weekdays, and learn from and use your FIL’s charcoal stuff on the weekends. You can be up & cooking within minutes on a gasser...and the temps are generally stable.

I LOVE my charcoal grills...but I will NEVER part with my big gasser. And before I had the collection I have now...I did EVERYTHING on that beast. Granted, it’s a 6 burner with lots of features...but the principle is the same.

I’m partial to Weber but even a Spirit might be out of the price range...unless you can find one on sale. Now is the time to look...before summer and the "grilling season" gets here. I’m not fully versed in the choices you listed...so I’d have a look at the reviews on the free side. And be sure to keep us posted.

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg. Given your current living situation, i would probably go with a small gas unit, although the Blackstone griddle is also a great option and will really add to your cooking options. You can add the charcoal once you get your own home. Have fun with whatever you decide.

Comment

Kangabolic if you don’t need portability, I think you might want to consider something like a Weber Spirit 2 burner grill. New they go for $399, but I just saw a 4 year old one on Facebook marketplace for $80. They come with a 10 year warranty, and I’ve got a Weber 2 burner gas grill that is 18 years old and running great after I replaced the burners and a few miscellaneous parts a couple of years ago.

Comment

Salutations from Hays, Kansas!

Comment

Welcome from Northern Nevada.

I don't know if you've bought anything yet, but, I can give input on the Char Griller Pro, as I have one. Unless you're looking at the dual, it's a charcoal grill, with the side box you turn it into an offset smoker. Be warned, it's a LOT of work maintaining temps, and not something you want to do without a good thermometer to give you accurate info. I think for a first smoker/grill it's ok, especially for the price, but remember, it's called a COS (Cheap Offset Smoker) for a reason I figure that if I ever get around to getting something better, I'll have temp control down pat.

Anyway, congrats on the growing family, and I hope this helped a bit.

Comment

I have the Weber Q 2200 and it's pretty good but it can't do 2 zones. I also have the go anywhere I'm will probably never use it again at this point. On the subject of charcoal it is better but does take longer and requires more effort. I recommend you get a Weber Jumbo Joe and the portable gas grill of your choice or better yet if you have the room get a Weber Spirit 210 or 310. That'll get you started right.
                          Last edited by Attjack; March 13, 2020, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Get the best Weber gas grill that you can afford. Reliable, great customer service, wide availability of accessories and parts. You'll need the quick ramp up for dinner prep that a gasser gives, especially with a wee one coming on the scene.

Enjoy cooking outdoors. It's a ton of fun.

Kathryn

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Congrats on the coming child. I started my married life with a gasser but have switched to charcoal and never looked back.

Comment

• Cheef
                                Cheef commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Same here.
                                Started with gas and finally switched to charcoal with the Lodge Sportsman and a small charcoal starter. I still break out the sportsman for venison or a quick beef steak.
                                I can say with confidence I will never own another gas grill.
                                I can't seem to completely ween myself from gas because I'm absolutely loving the Blackstone griddle.
                                Last edited by Cheef; March 13, 2020, 09:39 PM.

Well lemmee tell ya everthing that everbody said about what cooker you buy is WRONG!
                              Or, maybe it’s right, you pick. When yer finished pickin, show us some pics of yer cooks, cuz we wanna see how yer doin. Welcome, eat good& have fun!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here