Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introduction and a request for help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome from Virginia. Coming from someone who owns a Hasty Bake, I would recommend the SNS Kamado as my suggestion for versatility. Bottom line you are going to get alot of opinions here and they will all be great. It comes down to you weighing all of the options with your needs.

Comment

Welcome! Seein the size of yer fam &throwin in a few friends I’ll second the emotion on the PBC. Not a ton of money & really good in the capacity department. Eat good and have fun!

Comment

Since I have the Weber Performer with SnS and smoke with now, I would say either get that set up or a PBC/WSM. All three are less money than your budget and allow you to get accessories like a Pit Viper fan with a digital controller. I haven’t cooked on a PBC, but knowledgeable folks here rave about. The Weber with the SnS make great food too.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas! You already have good advice, and some things to think about. I am a Kamado guy (BGE), and if not having to pay attention to 12-14 hour cooks is important to you a Kamado and a controller are a good combo. I have not eaten food cooked on a pellet cooker, but that might be another option. I see you live in PA, so as Spinaker noted it will be hard to beat a Kamado for cold weather cooking. Have fun with the search and the cooker. The reason there are so many cookers out there is that each cooker fills in for the weaknesses of a different cooker. Which limitations are you willing to live with?

Comment

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

If you're just getting into charcoal cooking and you want to see what all the fuss is about, you can't go wrong with a PBC. $350 and you're in, $385 with the cover. Then you can spend the rest on a really good thermometer setup like the Fireboard.

The PBC well made and does a great job with anything you throw at it. Plus cleanup is easy. Literally less than 5 minutes. You can cook in volume and it doesn't take up much space. Chicken, ribs, brisket, chuck roast, pork butt, bacon, meatloaf, you name it and you can do it on the PBC.

I started with a gas grill, using it to smoke briskets, etc, for a lot of years. Then I got the PBC to dip my toe into charcoal+wood chunks smoking. What a game changer. There's a lot of good smoke flavor that comes out of that cooker and, as you get more involved in smoking and buy $omething el$e like a kamado (I bought a Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center next) , you'll still use your PBC a lot because you'll love cooking on it so much.

With a PBC and a gasser, you've got a great combo.

Kathryn

Comment

Well, since > $1K has come up, take a look at the KBQ. https://amazingribs.com/node/381

Aside from its being a "serious" cooker, there are 2 bits that might disqualify it: needs a stick about every half hour, and it needs electricity. Search the threads here on the forum and be prepared to salivate.

Comment

Welcome from south Texas!

I would certainly second the recommendation you check out the SNS Deluxe Kamado. Same general price range as the Big Joe I believe. Comes with a ton of accessories. Gives you true two zone grilling as well as traditional kamado cooking. I’m thinking hard about getting one now.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. Nothing else to add to the conversation that hasn’t already been said.

Comment

Welcome from TN. Only thing I would add is that if you get a wsm get the 22. I have owned a wsm for years and I love it, but it is an 18” and every once in awhile I wish I had the extra capacity. But I have a kettle/sns too and that helps out for larger cooks. Good luck and let us know which way you decide to go.

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta. As you can see you will get A Lot of advice here. I have found that it can be overwhelming. But it is solid advice.

I am not the type to dip my toe in to try the waters, I jump in the deep end. Started with a Pit Boss Kamado and found I it didn't work for me. I wanted a pellet grill for the ease of use and got a Yoder YS640 and I love it. Wanted a charcoal grill and got a David Klose 20x42 grill chief grill, love it. Wanting to up my game; I'm waiting on a Lone Star Grillz insulated cabinet smoker, I hope I will love it. Bigger and more is better!

That being said the PBC, WSM, kettle, Joe and Slow n low kamados are all great cookers and smart choices. Good luck and welcome again.

Comment

So in thinking about it a little more I think I'd do this:

Get the SNS for your Weber. AND get the PBC. That would give you a TON of capacity if you do a big summer cook (or 3) or you could grill on the weber and gasser while smoking on the PBC or... a lot of things.

Do you NEED the SNS with the PBC? nah. But it's $100 and so it's not a big additional investment.

Comment

Greetings from another SEPA native (also MontCo!). I’d add the slow n sear to your kettle and see how that works for you. I use the standard slow n sear 2.0 in my 26” kettle and can comfortably handle cooks for 15-20 people which we do about once a month or so. Beyond that, at that budget number and needing or wanting some lay flat space, a pellet grill with smoke tube could be the most bang for the buck. As you can see though, the PBC is a very popular and effective cooker.

Comment

First, welcome! Next, I'd say your first thought was the best one for where you are...a Kamodo Joe (or any ceramic like a BGE or Primo) smoker.The ceramics are great smokers to get your feet wet, perfect your fire control skills and they give you the ability to smoke or grill. The quality of Q is really good, certainly an upgrade from your electric. I'd also recommend you pick one up used. I bought my 24" Big Joe for $800 with most of the options included. After using it for a while it led me to my decision to purchase an offset plus keep my gas grill and the Joe too. Best of luck.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I enjoy my kettles and PBC. They all have a place in my outdoor cooking!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X
                                false
                                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                                false
                                false
                                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                                Yes
                                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here