Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introduction and a request for help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EdF
    replied
    Well, since > $1K has come up, take a look at the KBQ. https://amazingribs.com/node/381

Aside from its being a "serious" cooker, there are 2 bits that might disqualify it: needs a stick about every half hour, and it needs electricity. Search the threads here on the forum and be prepared to salivate.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    If you're just getting into charcoal cooking and you want to see what all the fuss is about, you can't go wrong with a PBC. $350 and you're in, $385 with the cover. Then you can spend the rest on a really good thermometer setup like the Fireboard.

The PBC well made and does a great job with anything you throw at it. Plus cleanup is easy. Literally less than 5 minutes. You can cook in volume and it doesn't take up much space. Chicken, ribs, brisket, chuck roast, pork butt, bacon, meatloaf, you name it and you can do it on the PBC.

I started with a gas grill, using it to smoke briskets, etc, for a lot of years. Then I got the PBC to dip my toe into charcoal+wood chunks smoking. What a game changer. There's a lot of good smoke flavor that comes out of that cooker and, as you get more involved in smoking and buy $omething el$e like a kamado (I bought a Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center next) , you'll still use your PBC a lot because you'll love cooking on it so much.

With a PBC and a gasser, you've got a great combo.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• holehogg
    replied
    Greetings from South Africa

Leave a comment:

• LA Pork Butt
    replied
    Welcome to the Pit from Dallas! You already have good advice, and some things to think about. I am a Kamado guy (BGE), and if not having to pay attention to 12-14 hour cooks is important to you a Kamado and a controller are a good combo. I have not eaten food cooked on a pellet cooker, but that might be another option. I see you live in PA, so as Spinaker noted it will be hard to beat a Kamado for cold weather cooking. Have fun with the search and the cooker. The reason there are so many cookers out there is that each cooker fills in for the weaknesses of a different cooker. Which limitations are you willing to live with?

Leave a comment:

• ScottyC13
    replied
    Since I have the Weber Performer with SnS and smoke with now, I would say either get that set up or a PBC/WSM. All three are less money than your budget and allow you to get accessories like a Pit Viper fan with a digital controller. I haven’t cooked on a PBC, but knowledgeable folks here rave about. The Weber with the SnS make great food too.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    Welcome! Seein the size of yer fam &throwin in a few friends I’ll second the emotion on the PBC. Not a ton of money & really good in the capacity department. Eat good and have fun!

Leave a comment:

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    Welcome from Virginia. Coming from someone who owns a Hasty Bake, I would recommend the SNS Kamado as my suggestion for versatility. Bottom line you are going to get alot of opinions here and they will all be great. It comes down to you weighing all of the options with your needs.

Leave a comment:

• ShellandSwine
    replied
    Welcome from southwestern PA! I love my PBC, don’t have anything to add to what they said except that Noah and his wife (they own the company) are great to talk to for advice. He literally gives you his phone number and you can chat directly with him. Or at least this is the advice I’d give to someone who didn't have Gritty as their avatar!

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    Welcome to the Pit! I’ve been using an offset smoker for 30 years, but over the past couple of years have done most of my smoking on a Weber Performer Deluxe (kettle) with a Slow ‘N Sear (SnS). It can go 8-12 hours on a load of charcoal for long smokes, and is a great charcoal grill as well. If I wanted more space I would consider the PBC or a Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM). All of those are a lot cheaper than a kamado. But you will only get 2-zone on a kettle type cooker. A lot love the 26” kettle with the SnS.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Welcome to The Pit. I don't have anything new to add.

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    Welcome to the Pit from Minnesota.

Leave a comment:

• RichieB
    replied
    1st welcome from Western Massachusetts. Nice Aviator (I think). I have a Kettle and SnS. It serves me well, but for what you stated your cooks are, it would not suffice. I suspect a PBC or WSM will meet your needs. I'm looking to expand and as much I love my Weber's, I'm leaning to PBC. My biggest challenge is getting it here and my wife not noticing.
    Last edited by RichieB; February 8, 2020, 09:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Oakgrovebacon
    replied
    Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois!

Leave a comment:

• HouseHomey
    replied
    Huntington Beach welcomes you and your kettle.

Leave a comment:

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    Miscad What he said.👆 I have 2 kettles, a 26&22 both with SnS and spin grates. I LOVE my kettles. For A small amount you have a smoker/athermometer. SnS and 4’probe maverick. GAME CHANGER! Then save and consider a quality product like Spinaker said. That KJ is awesome!! That kettle with SnS products is fun and make delicious foods. Meanwhile cash the checks, cook some food and do your homework. You won’t be sorry.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here