Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie to smoking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie to smoking!

Hi Everyone,
    Just received a Traeger 575 for Christmas. About to smoke a 18 # brisket in Buffalo NY for the first time on this smoker.
    Had some success doing 2 of them on a Weber Genesis gas grill with the info on this great website, ( it came out delicious) Now I’m hoping the Traeger ups the flavor. A little nervous doing it in cold weather ( 32 degrees), but I have the insulated blanket for it and am scheduling some extra time for by starting it up at 11 pm tonight hoping to it on Wednesday at 5 pm.
    Following the recipe from the website , just a little unsure about cooking temps.
    The Weber method took 18 hours for a 13 pounder.
    Planning on going 180 degrees for six hours and then raising the temperature to 225 to finish.
    When I used the Weber I never wrapped the brisket and it came out amazing with a great bark but no smoke ring because that was challenge keeping wood chips going.
    Hopefully the Traeger helps with this.
    Any pointers from anyone would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks Tony

Welcome to the Pit! I do not have a pellet popper but it sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Good luck with the cook and show us the progress and finish! we love pictures here.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!
      Cheers from Norway

Comment

The Weber method took 18 hours for a 13 pounder.
        Planning on going 180 degrees for six hours and then raising the temperature to 225 to finish.

Temp is too low. Don't smoke under 200f For brisket you want to be in the 250f range for low n slow.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, but keep an eye on the IT. If it's not going up fast enough, don't be afraid to raise the temp to 275° - 300°.

And welcome to The Pit.

Comment

I’m glad I checked with you folks, thanks for the intel. Will start at 250, and keep an eye on the temp.
          I know there are a lot of variables, especially with the outside temp being at 32F, but does anyone have an estimate on total time for the cook?

Comment

Welcome from Maryland.

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta.
              I just run it at 225 the whole time no wrap and they take 10-14 hours using SRF black waygu. Your time may vary but you have the right idea. Quite a few people run it hotter with good results.

Comment

Ideally you want it done around two hours before serving time, but a longer cambro time won't hurt, and you could wrap and hold in the oven if it's done really early. Just set your oven on it's min temp, (most ovens are around 170°).
                Last edited by RonB; January 14, 2020, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Another Bills Fan. I spent my first 25 years of my life in Olean NY.

Comment

• DesertRaider
                    DesertRaider commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So with both of you here, who's going to watch the games?

• ssandy_561
                    ssandy_561 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pretty Funny.

Probably the other tens of thousands of #BillsMafia fans.

• DesertRaider
                    DesertRaider commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ssandy_561, sorry, as a die hard Raider fan I couldn't resist. I just crack myself up sometimes

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas!

Comment

Welcome to THE Pit from Houston! Sounds like you’ve got a pretty solid plan. I agree with a couple other folks that recommended higher temps to start. I personally do not have a pellet pooper, but my dad has a Kuma and I have done brisket on it before. Turned out excellent! It’s hard for me to guess on cook time for you as every brisket I’ve ever done has been different. You mentioned several of the variables that you identified already and I think you have a good plan. If you don’t have a good leave in thermometer already, I highly recommend getting one to help monitor IT. I don’t wrap my brisket until I pull it for the cambro, and the I wrap in pink butcher paper. If you start it at 2300 the night before, you should be in great shape. Just make sure you keep checking your pellet level! I learned the hard way about pellet levels the first brisket I cooked on my dad’s pit.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips!! Can’t wait to fire it up later tonight after going to the Sabres game.
                      I’ll keep you posted on the progress, and I picked up some more pellets just in case.

Comment

Welcome from Sunny SoCal.

As for smoke...the only pellet cooker I’ve used is my father’s smaller Traeger.
                        It definitely lacks the smoke profile that I prefer... YMMV
                        I think part of the problem with pellet cookers it that they’re just too efficient for their own good.

Solved that by adding a A-Maze-N tube to the mix.
                        Fill it up...light it with a torch and let it burn for a few minutes like a fat candle...blow out the flame, we want smolder & smoke, not a fire...then set it inside and let it do it’s thing. It brought a lot more smoke to the party...and does so regardless of the set temp.
                        Last edited by surfdog; January 14, 2020, 03:21 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from La Crosse Wi. I have no tips, but, look forward to seeing your cooks. Love me some smoked brisket!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here