Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1buba
    commented on 's reply
    Oh yeah. The reds, even here in Fairbanks, go over $20 a lb sometimes. I'm not sure i can physically get my own this year, but will try and get one of the son-in-laws to proxy for me. :-)

I do want a head to head taste test on wild vs farmed out of the smoker. I know it will be different, but would love to see how much.

• 1buba
    commented on 's reply
    LOL. yeah, i try to play by the rules and keep from tickin' off the folks that I want to learn from. :-)

Problem is, i JUST got this SmokinTex - litterally 3 days ago. Now, due to this site, i'm wanting a big stick burner. Thinking i may end up settling for a WSM, or maybe just got out and work on my cheapie. :-)

Thanks again all!

• bbqoaf
    commented on 's reply
    Me too, when I see the deep red fillets at the store that are caught in B.C. I get a little too excited for a grown man! I'm going to experiment with freezing them this year then buy the grocery store out of its stock. Once you have fresh wild salmon there is no returning to the pale pink farmed garbage that is produced year round.

• Huskee
    replied
    Welcome to The Pit 1buba ! I have a pic of me smoking when it was -20 per my ThermoPop. It was -22 on my other therm. Not quite -25 though, you got me beat there.

Glad to know there's other hardcores out there, you'll fit in nicely.

Great job on your signature, I take it I don't have to send you our homework assignment since you must've dug it up already?

Again, welcome aboard and thanks for your support!

Leave a comment:

• 1buba
    replied
    Originally posted by bbqoaf View Post
    Greetings from Alberta, I'm a veteran -25 or colder smoker. Nothing eats charcoal like the one touch in horrible winter cold, forget it if it is windy as well. Look forward to your cooks, nothing beats wild pacific salmon, I'm jealous of all you northwest people during that season which is coming up soon.
    BBQOAF,
    Greetings to you neighbor! LOL
    Well, we do have access to salmon, but not at the store. Fairbanks prices on fresh fish are about equal to Montana. LOL
    We do have the opportunity to do what they call dip netting here, so i'm hoping to load the freezer and have plenty to smoke this year.

Leave a comment:

• 1buba
    replied
    Originally posted by kirikintha View Post
    Ever consider using a Thermal Blanket? I smoked pork butt at about 10F, not your type of cold - but I would think that may help considerably. Trying to keep humidity in too in that kind of cold too - wowsers. Perhaps a bonfire or napalm of sort?
    I actually did - i used a hot water insulator blanket a couple of times. it really did work well. Big issue was, i didn't have my remote thermometer at the time, so i had to keep going out to check the temp. Now i'm trying the electric, not because it was impossible, but because i'm getting old and lazy. LOL
    Humidity would have been a BIG issue for most things. I had soaked the turkey in brine though, and it turned out pretty good both times. It is VERY dry here in the winter though, so i may need to think about that with this new electric.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Greetings 1buba

Leave a comment:

• bbqoaf
    replied
    Greetings from Alberta, I'm a veteran -25 or colder smoker. Nothing eats charcoal like the one touch in horrible winter cold, forget it if it is windy as well. Look forward to your cooks, nothing beats wild pacific salmon, I'm jealous of all you northwest people during that season which is coming up soon.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    1buba I smoke in the Minnesota winters (not quite -25) but we get -15 on the regular in Jan and feb. I found that a large welding blanket works great for insulating the smoker. I wrap it around my Pit Barrel for those overnight, Chilly cooks in mid winter. It works great.

Leave a comment:

• kirikintha
    replied
    Ever consider using a Thermal Blanket? I smoked pork butt at about 10F, not your type of cold - but I would think that may help considerably. Trying to keep humidity in too in that kind of cold too - wowsers. Perhaps a bonfire or napalm of sort?

Leave a comment:

• 1buba
    replied
    Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
    Welcome!

Which electric did you purchase?
    Jeff,
    I got a SmokinTex 1400. I was originally looking at a Cookshack, but shipping was $320 up here. So, I looked for something close, but cheaper. :-) The SmokinTex is VERY close. In my shakedown seasoning last night showed the thermostat to be a little squirrely, but i can put up with that by using my Maverick and keeping an eye on it. :-)
    Picking up the meat today for this weekend.

Thanks for the welcome all.

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    Welcome!

Which electric did you purchase?

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    I guess we know who's going to win the, "Show us your freezing temps cooks" thread this year. lol

Welcome 1buba! We're glad you're here.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    You know you're not supposed to live where it gets that cold right? I'm pretty sure that is why cars were invented.

Welcome and let us know how the electric works.

Leave a comment:

• 1buba
    started a topic Another newbie

Another newbie

Been smoking and grilling for need 30 years. Still a long ways to go. Moved to the Alakan Interior about 6 years ago and found it darn near impossible to smoke a turkey in my offset at -25*, with snow and a breeze. So I got an electric.
    seasoned it tonight, maiden voyage with butts/shoulders this weekend!
    will be working on my homework...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here