Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from San Diego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from San Diego

My name is Roger and I'm a native San Diegan, living in the east county suburb of Lakeside. Married with four sons and one grandson.
    Sifu is a title which means "master" in Kenpo Karate.

The weather here gives us the opportunity to be outdoors 12 months in shorts and t-shirts so BBQ is a big part of getting together with friends and family all year long. I've been grilling almost 40 years because of it.
    I come from four generations of excellent Island cooking enthusiasts, learning recipes and skills from my grandparents, parents and friends. I really love to make Hawaiian style BBQ dishes like huli huli chicken, kalbi, and kahlua pig. I can grill a pretty mean steak and have also dabbled in Baja style cooking. Generally, inside or outside, I love to cook!
    Last year, I became fascinated with Southern style BBQ by watching the show BBQ Pitmasters. So, with credit card in hand, I called Ben Lang and ordered one of his 36" models. Fast forward to the present and I joined AR to learn from some really enthusiastic and honest people.
    My skills as a offset stick smoker are quite raw. I use red oak and hickory woods and have learned to control the heat and keep a clear smoke going throughout the process but I don't think my food tastes right, especially tri-tip and brisket, where a sauce or mop isn't used, only rubs.
    I'm really looking forward to learning from everyone on the AR site.

Welcome aboard Sifu Roger, fellow stickburner! Glad to have you here. Sounds like you have a lot of experience, you'll fit in well. What do you think is not right about your food on your stickburner? Do you think you just don't like oak or hickory, or do you think there's something you might be missing? I've found for my personal tastes different woods pair better with different meats. For instance I do not like chicken with oak or hickory, but I love beef with oak, hickory or pecan. I don't like beef with ash, but I love chicken with ash, etc. Maybe some more smoking and experimenting is in order!

Great job on your signature. I think folks are reading the homework articles before I can send them out! But just in case, here's out homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Thanks, Huskee. Since I'm new here, I wanted to enter on a good note so I did follow the welcome directions and signature procedures. I'm sure it will come in handy in the future.
      Here's where I'm critical of my smoker cooking- I feel the seasonings change drastically when smoke is applied, giving an almost unsavory experience, especially with beef. I believe you're onto something with the type of wood used so will be experimenting with apple, pecan, and ash this year. Personally I think oak is a bit overpowering and I usually mix it with hickory 70/30.
      Again, I'm drawn back to seasonings and rubs. If my percentages of salt to sugar, paprika, garlic powder, etc. are off when pit smoking, then the beef flavors won't be enhanced quite right. Maybe smoker cooking relies on wet mops and sauces to give a sweet, salty and savory experience.
      I will be experimenting alot this year and will look to AR for tons of advise.

Comment

Yeah tastes are VERY subjective, and every person you talk to will have their preferences. I never mop, baste or sauce anything on the smoker. But that's how I learned through trial & error to do it, and I, my family, and my friends like it. Trust me, you'll find that magic combination or lack thereof that will be your signature way. Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub (BBBR) is great on brisket & roasts, even steaks. Meathead also has Memphis Dust, a rib/pork rub (chicken too), and I and some others have submitted our rib/chicken/pork rubs in the Rub, Pastes & Marinades channel. I describe my rib rub and technique as exactly what you describe- sweet salty and savory all together (no herbs though). Shop around, maybe try something new. My favorite woods right now for ribs are apple and ash, together or separate. I have used peach and apricot with great success too.

Comment

Hello Roger, Welcome.
          Last edited by Jon Solberg; April 19, 2015, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here