Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howdy from Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy from Texas

To start, I was born in Houston (a bunch of years ago) and except for some Navy duties in my teens plus a few years working for my employer in a couple of Middle East countries, I've lived pretty close to my birth place ever since.

My cooking experience goes back to my early teen years, The first thing I can remember cooking was a chocolate cake. From there, I graduated to more mundane items like bacon and eggs and such other things as cornbread and pinto beans.
    Having married an inexperienced (and unwilling) cook, some experience was gained through a sense of self preservation.

When I retired a number of years ago, I embarked upon my second career as a golfer. It took a few years of frustration
    and broken clubs to convince me that the pro tour was not in my future. However, that realization was a motivation to
    enlarge my cooking talents, since I still continued to get hungry after my golfing skills never developed and my wife has never come to appreciate kitchen activities

To pursue any undertaking one needs some tools. Because I like steaks and barbecue, guess what I started buying? Right:
    Barbecue equipment. This was before I located the Amazing Ribs website, so I followed my natural instincts and bought some pieces of junk that were cheap but fortunately fell apart pretty soon. After I found Meathead and AR, I was amazed
    to find how much i did NOT know about grilling and barbecuing techniques...and how much this website was providing me for free. That was when I began to appreciate the idea that a little help couldn't hurt and began to listen to the experts. I now
    have two Weber grills, as well as a WSM smoker, a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Smokenator and a couple of hi-tech thermometers,
    all of which were endorsed and recommended on this site.

While I have learned a lot, one of the most important is that there is a LOT to learn. Interestingly, there is comfort in the
    knowledge that if you have a problem there is somebody at Amazing Ribs who can help. This is still the place I turn to when
    I hit bump in the road.

Welcome!!! I'm in east Texas. Been here since 2001. Born ('76) and raised in southwest Louisiana.

Comment

That's a great BBQ story, Lowry. You have a great stable of versatile devices.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Lowry2 ! Glad ot have you aboard here. I agree with JeffJ, you have a great lineup for anything you try to tackle in the smoking world.

Be sure to get that gear put into your signature....

On that note, since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Hello L2. Nice to meet you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here